Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help where to send laptop to be opened to put

• Please log in to reply

tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Dear members:

does any one know please where do isend my laptop to be opened to take out the old hd and put a new hd in? (checked bestbuy, circui tcity, staples, and my nearest toshiba laptop providers: all do it for at least 70 dollars just for taking out hd and installing a new one!)?
Also, can you tell me how to open up a laptop or articles that do show you how step by step and other things? please let me know as soon as u can! thank you very much

Advertisements

gtippery

gtippery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
As you haven't told us what specific laptop you have, it is not possible to give you disassembly directions.

Most laptops must be disassembled in a specific way, often with specialized tools, to avoid damage -- which may happen anyway. This is one reason shops charge so much -- they have to buy the manuals and tools, and frequently the training. Then if anything goes wrong, they have to replace whatever broke. Just opening a laptop can be a risky task.

Also, on some laptops the HD can just be popped out with a button, or maybe a single screw. On others, you have to take it completely apart -- case, keyboard, motherboard... Sometimes you must remove heat sinks or heat pipes which are glued in place, without so much as bending them. (My NEC Ready is one of those.) And then replace it all afterwards, of course. Itty-bitty screws get stripped, or just dropped and lost. A few models can't be reassembled without new pieces. Which you'd better already have in stock. Sometimes you have to clean out crud that's been spilled into the computer. Sometimes the crud (especially beverages) has already damaged the circuit board, or a connector, and just moving it will cause it to fail. Permanently.

Some arbitrary drives won't work in some laptops. In that case, the customer isn't going to be happy paying for your time and trouble discovering this fact. Sometimes the computer or drive fails shortly after installation, for reasons entirely unrelated to the work done. The customer will never believe this, and you'll have to eat the cost of the repair.

So you typically have up-front costs, quite a bit of labor, and the risks. $70 is actually quite reasonable in the USA, which is where it sounds like you are. Anything much less, and either they expect to sell you something else, or they probably can't afford to guarantee the work.

Good luck. :tazz:

tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
thanks for all the information it clears many things :tazz:. about the laptop, i have toshiba satellite 1400-s151, and i unscrewed everything but still does't move an inche (tried sliding it also: hd is on the bottom not front just to let u know). and i checked the toshiba site and user guide, but it doesn't give me any info on how to do it (just says take it to ur nearest provider to do the job) so i believe, i really have to dismantle the laptop or open in half in order toget the hd out. therefore, can you tell me please how do u do that (any information will help:)) thank u very much

gtippery

gtippery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

thanks for all the information it clears many things :). about the laptop, i have toshiba satellite 1400-s151, and  i unscrewed everything but still does't move an inche (tried sliding it also: hd is on the bottom not front just to let u know). and i checked the toshiba site and user guide, but it doesn't give me any info on how to do it (just says take it to ur nearest provider to do the job) so i believe, i really have to dismantle the laptop or open in half in order toget the hd out. therefore, can you tell me please how do u do that (any information will help:)) thank u very much

View Post

I couldn't find the instructions online anywhere, either. I don't want to try to guess; many laptops require removing hidden fasteners, then prying at specific points in specific ways in a specific order. Do it wrong, and snap, there goes a piece of the case.

But if you can see the HD, you probably don't have to remove any more of the case.

This outfit (among others) advertises replacement drives for your computer. Possibly they can be persuaded to tell you how it's done, or will sell you a service manual. Toshiba may be willing to sell you a manual; I didn't check.

Otherwise, as you were advised on another forum, just take it easy and keep looking at the machine until you figure it out.

Is the drive in any sort of caddy or tray?

Have you any way of posting photos or sketches of how the drive is mounted in your laptop?

Sapper88

Sapper88

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have you removed the keyboard and checked the screws in there? all toshiba screw holes are marked in length, so this will help the reasemble, ie dont put a 12mm screw into a 4mm hole, normaly there will be a circuit board underneath :tazz: