Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Restart?

• Please log in to reply

genesis

genesis

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I can't find what wrong, my computer just keep on restarting on its own. There is no fix time how long my system work, sometimes system boot does not finished and it would restart again, sometimes after 5, 10, 15 minutes. but there are times i can work for hours and nothing happens . . . then aaggghhhhh it would restart itself and there goes all my work . . . gone!!!!

Help please on what should i do!

Advertisements

gtippery

gtippery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well, it's probably a hardware problem but it might be software. Software's easier and cheaper to fix, so we'll check that first.

1) Does it ever reset when it's "not doing anything"? I.e., no user programs running, no screen saver, no background antivirus checking, etc.? If so, it's probably hardware. If not, it's more likely software. Assuming, of course, you actually leave it alone long enough to give it a chance to die when it's not busy.

2) Does it always reset when you're running the same program? If so, and that's not practically the only thing you run, it's probably software. Either that program, or some system file it accesses, directly or indirectly. Is it always during a disk access, or a menu selection, or screen resolution change, or some other distinct activity? If software, maybe drivers. Or it could be the relevant hardware (drive/controller, video card, etc.)

3) Does it happen more often on hot days, or on especially humid days? That'd be hardware. You may need more cooling in the case, or maybe just a good cleaning. One or more of your computer's fans may be defective. If it's cold and/or dry days, you may need antistatic treatment of your work area -- some combination of antistat mats, chair covers, carpet treatments, etc.

4) Do you have a lot of AC power surges or dips in your location? And no working UPS on the computer? Probably hardware, but not necessarily YOUR hardware. ;)

5) When it fails to restart after shutting down, how far does it get before it fails? Drive lights flash, beeps, RAM test, equipment list, keyboard lights flash, AUTOEXEC if any, "Starting Windows" text message, startup screen, login screen if any, desktop? Normal or Safe mode? Does manually restarting it work? Does leaving it off for a few minutes help?

Get back with the answers to these questions and we'll go from there.

In the meantime, save your work often... :tazz:

miller4life

miller4life

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I had the same problem...might want to look into a new PSU that was my problem it would restart out of the blue surfing the net or in game play it would just restart....put a new PSU in and BAM no more restarts.