Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loss of User profile, inability to change desktop

• Please log in to reply

Johio

Johio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
XP Pro. It's my machine, although my dad gave me his 512 stick of RAM and 1.9 Ghz processor (I had a 1.79)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
reboot, leave the screen at the welcome screen, hit CTRL_ALT_DEL twice

this will bring up the classic logon screen

type in administrator

enter proper password (the one you used when you set system up)

Hit OK and logon.

Now go to control panel, and create a new user account, and give it a different name, like JOSHUA, make the account an administrator.

Give it a password

Log off, log in as new user.

This will create a new folder

c:\documents and settings\joshua

stop right there....do not do anything else.

report back

Johio

Johio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Don't hate me- I have no idea what the password was when we set it up. My account is an administrator account I have no password on it, but I cannot log into the ctrl+al+delete administrator account like you instructed

Edited by Johio, 07 July 2005 - 12:50 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you're account is an administrator

start > run
CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2
enter

click reset password and give it a password you can remember, then follow the above

Johio

Johio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay: I did as you said, and this occurred:

After reboot, login as administrator, it said that Windows could not find the user profile and that I would be logged in as the default profile instead. It loaded for about five, six minutes and then loaded to a blank desktop. I still can't change the background or use the programs, etc.

Johio

Johio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Still out there?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you logged in as administrator and got that?

Johio

Johio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes. Oddly enough, the background on the default login page loads the desktop image, but once i login it dissappears. Now it will let me login as the administrator, but the problems are the same. I created a new profile like you said. any ideas?

Johio

Johio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I know you guys are busy - just wanted to know what I should do next

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I just am having a difficult time visualizing this.....when you log in in safe mode, does the situation change?

In any profile, start > run
regedit
enter

navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

anything there?

Advertisements

Johio

Johio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Weird: under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ there is Windows and Windows NT....why would Windows NT be in my registry?? to my knowledge this machine has had XP pro on it ever since i formatted it a few months ago.

anyway, don't know if this is normal but the registry address you typed didn't exist (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer)

instead i have this:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ then Explorer, Group Policy, Run, and Telephony

Under Explorer I have Autoplay Handlers, HideDesktopIcons, MousePoints2, Shell Folders, Tips, and User Shell Folders

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

does not exist?

Johio

Johio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No it does not

Johio

Johio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
any other ideas?

brumu

brumu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
sounds like your profile is knacked....
the things you need to do is find out what profile you are using when you login with Josh, are you able to run regedit or has this been restricted. if so login as your admin account and run regedit and goto the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
in here you should fin your SIDs(long numbers) Click on these and check the right hand panel, you should find a key named profileImagePath this will point to the profile folder that it uses to get the NTUSER.dat file......
if this is pointing to the .000 account rename it to point to the original account (Josh?), logoff and log back on as Josh, If there is nothing wrong with this profile then you should go in as normal

to check what you are logged in as run a cmd promt and type
set t
this should give you a list of the temp folders your profile is using, and these should be located in your foldername, make sure that its Josh and not Josh.000
try everything again. :tazz:

Posibility is that the profiles are messed and the DefaultUser folder is also messed

--------------------------------------------------
Change registry settings at own risk
--------------------------------------------------