Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys BEFW11S4

• Please log in to reply

Adrian04

Adrian04

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
My computer is connected to the above router with a ethernet cable while two other computers connect wirelessly. Now I am trying to secure my network but I don't know how to go about it. I went into my router settings enabled WEP 128 bits 26 HEX digits and I have a empty box labelled passphrase and WEP key with a random sequence. How do I enable securoty? I tried putting in a passphrase and entered it and the key into the other computers but couldn't get in.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Did you make sure you entered in the correct SSID on all the devices?

Greazy Mcgeezy

Adrian04

Adrian04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yep all the same ID

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Just to be sure, when you enter in the key into the other computers, are you making sure it's actually hex values?

Adrian04

Adrian04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for the help it's all sweet now. One question though is the passphrase in the router settings supposed to be the same as the network name? I coulnd't get it to work with a different name but now it works when I enter the network name as passphrase. Thanks anyway :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, something sounds odd about that, but if it works, hey I'm glad.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Adrian04

Adrian04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hahah as am I. Cheers mate