Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Amd system running very hot

• Please log in to reply

nevets68

nevets68

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
AMD system running very hot

Hello all.

I have a Gigabyte GA7VXP motherboard with a AMD Athlon XP2200 cpu. The heatsink and fan are the stock ones that came with the cpu.

I've noticed (using monitoring software) that the cpu temp is sometimes hitting around 64c. I'm sure thats not good. Keep in mind this is not while playing any games,just looking at websites and the like.

I've taken the liberty of cleaning out the pc of dust and all that. However, the pc still runs hot. I dont recall the name of the maker of the PC case but it does have 2 fans (80mm?)in it....one up front and the other in the back.

So my question is this...what fan/heatsink combo do you guys recommend for my computer?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I recommend Zalman cooling. I use it myself too. I don't know what socket you have for your CPU but this one is for a socket 462 AMD Athlon XP: CNPS7000B-Cu LED www.zalman.co.kr Look around their website for a cooler that fits both your CPU and MoBo. Zalman makes some of the best and most quiet coolers in the world.

Emery

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Another thing I like about Zalman is the dimmer you get with it. I got a cable running from my cooler to the front of my pc. At the end of the cable there is a dimmer which lets you turn up the speed of your cooler before playing a game or so.

Emery

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
No arguement, Zalman makes great HSF's - Using one on my FX53 and it runs very cool temps. For most socket A builds, I've been using Thermaltake Silent Boost copper HSF's with artic silver and they too, do an excellent job. Perhaps my favorite socket A builds right now are mobile 2600+ which can easily be run at 200x12 (2.4MHz) or the equivalent of a 3600+. Temps run high 30's low 40's. Cost is low $30 range and sometimes they can be found cheaper on promotion.

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 07 July 2005 - 05:53 AM.

miller4life

miller4life

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Also might want to look into the gigabyte G-Power Cooler i have that one and my cpu runs from 29 to 37 degrees with game play I have a amd 1800 overclocked to run at 1.9 ghz
http://www.giga-byte...GH-PDU21-MF.htm

Edited by miller4life, 13 July 2005 - 07:38 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I would question your case and fans. no argument, the zalman coolers are good, and you may just have an issue with the bond between the cpu and hsf.
but it sounds like you may have an issue with not enough airflow in the case. are there any additional spots you an add another exhaust fan, to help pull hot air out of the case?
if so, a good case fan will run you $8-10.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
When you say you cleaned the PC out for dust . . .

Did you check the fins on the heatsink? if they are clogged with dust, then air cannot flow down & out the side properly for effective cooling.

There are different "degrees" of cleaning. . .
Jack123