Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My NEW Hard Drive is Corrupting

• Please log in to reply

StrongBad

StrongBad

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I recently bought a 250GB Seagate Barracuda, but I didn't want to format to NTFS because I might be using Linux in the near future. So I decided to split the drive in two, and format each to FAT32. Each drive gives me 116GB of useable space, presumably leaving 9GB for the FAT. Everything was going fine for about a week, but now some random files and folders have been created, containing invalid characters. After a Scandisk, it found over 6000 lost file fragments! Luckily, I have made a backup of everything important, so formatting and starting again isn't a problem. I thought this problem was due to a faulty hard drive, so I sent an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) to eBuyer, and they've accepted it.
The thing is, I read on Wikipedia that FAT32 can support drive sizes up to 124GB, which I though wasn't including the FAT itself (so my 116GB would be OK), but what if it means including the FAT? Does this mean that I'm stretching FAT32's limitations? Is this drive too large for it? If so, why did DOS let me format it to FAT32?
Could I solve the problem by splitting the drive into three FAT32 partitions?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Advertisements

Web Master

Web Master

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Edited post for content.

Edited by coachwife6, 07 July 2005 - 06:37 AM.

StrongBad

StrongBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK......Thank you Web Master for your totally senseless answer. But it's the thought that counts. I don't think opening the hard drive will fix anything, and my warranty will certainly be void if I do so.

Anyone else got any better plans?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
I do not feel the post by web master was called for I'm have a upper staff like at this post.
:tazz:

Web Master

Web Master

• Pip
  • 2 posts
edited post for content.

Edited by coachwife6, 07 July 2005 - 06:37 AM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
here is a link to a microsoft page on fat32 Click Here
If your losing data I would say you got a bad harddrive. I have only seen this one time before in my computer builds and it was the bad harddrive that was doing it.
But with out knowing if you put the data on the new hard drive from a old one it could be a virus or malware doing this to you.
:tazz:

StrongBad

StrongBad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've hardly had time to install anything, and even those things are only respectable things like Winamp and Microsoft Office. I have a firewall running on the host PC (because I use ICS across a network) aswell.
I also didn't tell you that I've had some other odd problems with the disk before this incident. So I'm also pretty sure it's a disk problem, but I wanted to check with you guys first. I might aswell return it then, I've got nothing to lose.

Thanks again,
Peter