Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Cards and its Power Cables

• Please log in to reply

tennisgiant21

tennisgiant21

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok, this probably seems like a really stupid question to all of you, but I am new to the video card world, and I just wanted to be sure on something.

So I just purchased an MSI nVidia 6600GT, and it works fine so far, no problems at all. But I noticed that when I installed it, its power cable was y shaped, meaning one end connected to the actual card, while the other 2 ends were left to connect to the CPU (i think that's what it's called, not terribly sure on the terminology). The bad news was that I only had one remaining cable left in my PC to connect to the "y"shaped power cable. So one end is still just hanging out by itself.

So far I have just been browsing the internet and whatnot, and my computer and the video card seem to be running fine. However, when I decide to start to play games, and where I depend on my video card the most, will the card start to overheat and malfunction b/c its only connected by one cable? Will I need to buy another cable of some sort?

Advertisements

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Don't think so, same deal with my 6600, once i did not have it plugged in for ages. No problems there...

gtippery

gtippery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm not familiar with that particular card, but if there's only one place on the card to plug in a power cable, and you have a live cable from the power supply plugged in there, you should be OK.

It sounds to me like what you have is a cable (that came with the card, right?) which is designed to let you plug in the card without giving up a power connector. So you have one end that plugs into one of the cables out of your PS, one that plugs into the card, and one (currently unused) that looks like the ones out of the PS, and can be used to plug in something else, such as a fan. If that's what you have, then all is as it should be. This is the most likely situation. If so, and if one of the cables directly from the PS will plug into the card, then you don't really need the "Y" cable at all and you're better off without it, at least until you need to plug in one more thing than there are PS cables/connectors.

But if the card has two sockets for power, you probably need another cable. I have heard of cards like this. I can't see any way plugging the same cable into the card again would have any point.

Only other possibility I can think of is if the currently-unused end will plug into another cable out of the PS, thus having two sources. I've never heard of that being done and can't see how it'd be likely to do any good.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Manufacturers are getting more expansion knowledgeable!!!

They are integrating a - "Y Power connector cable" - with the device

This way you will never use your last remaining power connector...

Only downfall . . . . you now can overload your PS without thinking . . .
. . . .before you had to think . . ..well maybe I do not have enough power if I have no connector . . .well some of us???? maybe ???

Fan makers are doing this also . . . cause when you expand . . . you raise the heat issues up a notch!!!

So when you add devices/drives to your system you may need 2 connectors - 1 for Power for device & 2nd one likely for an added fan . . . .

You will notice you will have 1 connector w/male pins & 2 w/female pins . . . 2 "HOT" . . .1 "COLD"

Male pins are on devices: ("EXPOSED"/"COLD") to receive (HOT). .
Female pins are on power cables: ("PROTECTED"/"HOT" ) and connect to the devices which are: ("COLD"/EXPOSED)

Male pins tend to short out . . . . . Just like Wall Sockets & Plugs
.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. . . . . Sockets are HOT - Plugs are COLD

Saftey Tip of the day . . . Design 101 . . . .

"So now you know the rest of the story."
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 07 July 2005 - 11:33 AM.

tennisgiant21

tennisgiant21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yeah, looks like the video card only has one socket input for power, so I won't worry about it. Thanks for the help guys