Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 98 won't start, install wizard pops up

• Please log in to reply

Bobellia

Bobellia

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Last night I started my Latitude and things seemd to load properly except when it was finished loaded none of the programs would opn. I shut it down and rebooted and the windows 98 screen comes up but then it goes to the install wizard and begins installation. I don't have an install disc since this was a refurbished laptop and I wonder if I can just get a new system cd and install over what is there now. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Are you able to boot into safe mode? (To enter safe mode tap the F8 key while the computer is starting. Select Safe Mode from the menu.)

If not, create a bootdisk. Start your computer with this disk in the floppy drive and at the command prompt type c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore

Bobellia

Bobellia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks. I managed to get past the wizard but I immediatley get an error message that explorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. When it does shut down I have my wallpaper but no icons or task bar and the only way out is to control, alt, delete and shut down. There is no program running when I do that. I did try safe mode but the same thing happens.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

If not, create a bootdisk. Start your computer with this disk in the floppy drive and at the command prompt type c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore

Bobellia

Bobellia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I went to the site and downloaded a boot disk and when I try to start my computer with it in the A drive it says that there is a non system disk ind it wont give me a prompt. Should I consider wiping the hard drive and buying an OEM windoes 98?
Thanks

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
To use the bootdisk file, first save it to your desktop, or somewhere you'll remember. Next, insert a blank floppy in your disk drive, and double click this bootdisk file you just downloaded. It will create a boot disk. When finished, reboot with the floppy in the drive. <_<

Bobellia

Bobellia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, thank you very much. I did as you said and I got the computer to start. One question. Four files showed up for me to restore and when I did the first one I restarted the computer. Should I go back and use the boot disk again to get to the other three that I didn't restore?? I am sorry but I am really walking in the dark here and really appreciate your help.
Bob

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
No. <_<

If it's working okay, just leave it alone. If you're still experiencing problems then you could try another date.

Bobellia

Bobellia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I think i will quit while i am ahead. It is working. The only thing is that when I shut down I get the message that this program is not responding and I have to shut down by clicking on end task but that is a minor issue i think. Thank you very much for your help.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What program is not responding? rundll32?

Bobellia

Bobellia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I couldnt tell since none of them had the message "not responding" but I did clean up the hard drive and ran CW Shredder (the latest version) and everything seems to be running well now. CWS did find some things and it gave me a couple of messages that it couldn't recognize a few of the files but I didn't delete them. I am not going to poke around any more for fear of ruining it. Thank you very much for your guidance and expert help.
Bob Ellia

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You're welcome <_<