Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Doorstop?

• Please log in to reply

graylady

graylady

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK, here I go again. I got this Dell computer from a pawn shop. No disks came with it. I did a restore on it to try and get rid of some problems.
ANYWAY, lets just say I have just about had it with the stupid thing.
I took it to a friend and she worked on it. She first deleted the other internet accounts. Now it doesn't recoginize the drive. It won't get on the internet under my account.
It had several different ways to connect, so did she delete the adminstrator account, or is there a different way to configue it so it will go on the internet again?
How can I get rid of the previous adminsstrator account (also won"t show user accounts) and passwords. How can I get my doorstop going again??????? :tazz: ;) ;)

Anyway I thank you. Any help and suggestions will be tried. I just love reading all the problems and trying to see if they fit my problem. I found one thing that I'm going to try. I have spent all night just reading the forum and really don't want to stop, but I'm going into the living room and hook up the Dell and see if I can get it to do anything.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!! Will check back in a little to see if anymore tricks to try. Man I can't see how it could hurt.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
you could try this http://www.petri.co....or_password.htm

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
calm down, first.

You say it does not recognize the drive, but then you say you cannot get on the internet on your account?

Stop. take a breath.

Let's start from scratch. You press the power button on your PC and what happens? Describe it up until the point everything stops. If it stops at a logon screen or windows desktop, fine. tell us that.

graylady

graylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey Guys!!! Finally got back around to checking on you all. First off, Thanks for replying! :tazz:

OK, went and turned the Dell on, the startup screen comes on and after a couple of seconds it shuts down and goes to a screen that says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A device driver attemping to corrupt the system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the Kernel stack must be replaced with a working version.

Says some stuff about going into Safe Mode and such.

And then some Tech Info: Stop:OXOOOOOOC4, (OXOOOOOOX37, OXOOOOOOOO, OXOOOOOOOO, OX84158F90

I am able to go into Safe Mode and the Dell does have Hijack This on it if it does any good. I have to write everything down so it may take awhile if you need to see it.

And when I go into Safe Mode, the Adminstrator Account and the Pawn Shop Account shows up, so I can go into either of those. In normal mode the Adminstrator account does not show up.

I have been told that I could invite someone to come in over the internet and look at it. But I'm not sure if I want to do that even if I could figure it out. Is there something that I could possibly try myself. But if thats what it takes , thats what it takes.

Anyway, thanks in advance and really looking forward to hearing from you all.

Edited by graylady, 10 July 2005 - 09:46 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you did not mention what model the dell was....

here's what is going on--you have a bad driver. Since you can get into safe mode, we can say it is likely video, perhaps sound, maybe network adapter.

Did you update any drivers yourself?

You have two courses...you can visit the dell site and download the default drivers for this machine (go to the help and support section and plug in your model number, download all drivers, and install them in safe mode)...or you can download everest home and save and attach a report and someone maybe able to determine if anything has been changed.

Either way, you need to install these drivers in safe mode, and it would be best if you installed all of them, meaning you cannot have someone do it remotely anyway since you need safemode without networking.

graylady

graylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry, it's a:

Dell DIMENSION DIM2300
Intel®
Pentium®4CPU 1.80GHz
1.79 GHz
256 MB of RAM

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002

No I have not updated any drivers. Can you look and see what I need to try and download. I'm sorry I see you say the "default drivers". Is there a certain way to get these on the sight or does it have a form to fill out so I get the right ones?

I just love working on computers. I'm 47 and I may have to try and go back to school so I can learn more, even though my son says I already know more on some of the stuff than he does.

Anyway Gerryf, thanks so much. I will hang on and wait for your reply before I go see if I can get on the internet with the Dell.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go here

http://support.dell....0&os=WW1&osl=EN

I would download
audio drivers
chipset
communication drivers
display devices
network drivers
video drivers

I took a quick look, and as usual, Dell installed whatever the heck they had laying around when they built this PC, so there are multiple drivers for different devices -- forexample, there are three different video chips that COULD be in there.

So, I think we need to go with the everest solution to be safe
download Everest Home

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and attach it to your next post

graylady

graylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
:help: ;) ;) OK, I deleted a music program off the Dell, my son must have downloaded it. Thats something I got out of the forum.

I can now "connect to the internet" but I keep getting the message that the page cannot be shown. Something about my URLs?

I know I had this problem before but I don't remember what I did to fix it.

Is there something that you can suggest? Maybe something about Internet Explorer messed up?

:tazz: Anyway keep up the good work, I know I appreciate it, and lots of others out in Troubled Land. :help:

Also I noticed that everything is running in "Local Computer" and nothing under "NT Authority". Part of the problem?

Well, thanks alot, and keep it coming and maybe I can prop the door with a brick instead of this Dell.