Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Router dropping connection

• Please log in to reply

cwld87

cwld87

• Pip
  • 8 posts
recently i bought this dlink router (DI-704P) and connected 2 computers to it. I configured it and well it ran smoothly i could send files through the network from one computer to the other.

the internet connection was okay at first, both computers could connect to the net. but then after a few hours the connection dropped and the M2 light was no longer there. sometimes the M1 light also goes off. I would usually switch off the power to the router and restart it. it works most of the time. sometimes i need to restart my modem too.

i dun think its a configuration problem since i have unique IP addresses assigned by the router for both computers

However i leave my connection on for long hours so it may get a bit hot

i did not have these problems when i connected to the internet with my computer directly connected to the modem. please help :tazz:

Advertisements

Dr Superb

Dr Superb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Try reinstalling / upgrading the firmware from the DLINK site. I've had those problems in the past w/ DLINK. Also, when you get disconnected from the net, try to connect to the router itself. Can you connect to it also?

cwld87

cwld87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I loaded the latest firmware from the website already
i think i still can connect to the router coz the WAN port 1,2 lights are the way they suppose to be its only the M2 and M1 lights that are not on

AND i found out that i cant connect to the internet sometimes even when the M1 is blinking and M2 is solid as it should be...

Dr Superb

Dr Superb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
How hot is the router getting? Could be resetting itself due to overheating. Also for the time being, try a new dedicated power outlet to see if the issue persists. I just want to rule out electricity.

cwld87

cwld87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i guess its not very hot cause i still can touch it? is there any signs to look out for if it is resetting?

i read another post it said something about the wire =( or has my modem met its end?

hmm a dedicated socket thats quite hard cosidering i got lots of electrical stuff

Dr Superb

Dr Superb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
before you said it was a router that was having issues. Now you said modem. I am confused. :tazz: ;)

cwld87

cwld87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i was wondering if my modm was experiencing problems....

but the trouble started when i got the router .. >.<
the drops are less frequent now but it still happens like once in 2 days

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
A couple things to check for. Log into the router and make sure you have your keep alove turned on.

Also check on both PC's in device manager for the ethernet cards properties and make sure the power saving option is off.

cwld87

cwld87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hmm i am not using the PoPEE or sth. so i guess its alive all the time

i think what i experiencing is a lock down?

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
The best way to determine which is causing the problem is to bypass the router and see if it does this without it.

cwld87

cwld87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it works fine without the router so the problem is with the router

and with the router download speeds reduce significantly from 80kbs to 20+ kbs

sometimes all the lights are working fine just that the thing will not connect

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
The only thing you can really do with a router acting up is try resetting it with the reset button on the back. If this does not fix it im affraid you may be looking at getting a new router.

Dr Superb

Dr Superb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

The only thing you can really do with a router acting up is try resetting it with the reset button on the back. If this does not fix it im affraid you may be looking at getting a new router.

View Post

You can always try upgrading the firmware.

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Dr superb please re-read the post. The poster has already done this.

cwld87

cwld87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
is there a way to prevent router lock down when i am downloading at highspeeds? or is it a limitation of the router i have to live with???