Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Earth

• Please log in to reply

bigdave

bigdave

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok, maybe this is a stupid question but I have very little knowledge about the workings of electricity. I recently built my on custom PC and all is well. However I cannot figure this wire out (picture attached). Is it an earth wire? If so, what am I meant to do with it or where should I put it? If not, can you shed some light onto what it actually is?

Any and all help is needed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Big Dave.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image000.jpg

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's a pretty grainy picture you got there. any way of getting a better view, more light perhaps? where is that wire coming from? the power supply? it may be a case ground (earth to you euros)

Edited by dsenette, 07 July 2005 - 09:36 AM.

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

that's a pretty grainy picture you got there. any way of getting a better view, more light perhaps? where is that wire coming from? the power supply? it may be a case ground (earth to you euros)

View Post

It just may be a case ground. It's located near the other case wires (USB, Firewire, LEDs). That pic is the best I can get now. It's basically a black wire with a metal tip (as you can see circled in the photo) attached to the case. Any chance you know what to do with it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so it's comming off of the case itself....does it look like the other end is attatched to anything important?

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

so it's comming off of the case itself....does it look like the other end is attatched to anything important?

View Post

I can't actually see it. It's behind internal metal walls (ya get what I mean). Where you to suggest I rip it out? I only ask what it's for because I have been having trouble with a device connected to a PCI studio soundcard. It's a Yamaha AX-44 unit which slots into CD-Rom drive bays. It has four large input jacks (mic etc.). The first two input jacks have a Line-Mic switch. When turned to mic, I get a large hissing sound (from headphones connected to the unit on full volume) and can hear interference from HD load noise (like little taps) and other little discreet noises. It's all interference.

Any suggestions?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wow...yeah now that sounds llike some funky interference..are all of the wires connected properly to the sound device? are there any nicks or cuts in the shielding of those wires? and the yamaha website sucks so i can't find a picture or documentation on the product you mentioned. i say try touching that wire to something grounded (gas pipe, drain pipe, something grounded..) and see if that stops the interferance.

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

wow...yeah now that sounds llike some funky interference..are all of the wires connected properly to the sound device? are there any nicks or cuts in the shielding of those wires? and the yamaha website sucks so i can't find a picture or documentation on the product you mentioned. i say try touching that wire to something grounded (gas pipe, drain pipe, something grounded..) and see if that stops the interferance.

View Post

Edited by bigdave, 07 July 2005 - 10:24 AM.

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The ground wire is inside the case up the bottom front. It's very short (like half HD length). But as for the wires, they are fine. On my other (older) PC it was all ok.

PS. http://www.yamaha.co...PRODUCT,00.html

The above URL has a Pic of my unit.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Edited by bigdave, 07 July 2005 - 10:28 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can get a longer wire and attach it to that wire and see if it make a difference...it probably wont but hey...can't make it worse

regelos

regelos

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question but I have very little knowledge about the workings of electricity. I recently built my on custom PC and all is well. However I cannot figure this wire out (picture attached). Is it an earth wire? If so, what am I meant to do with it or where should I put it? If not, can you shed some light onto what it actually is?

Any and all help is needed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Big Dave.

View Post

that is a ground wire and its commonly attached to one of the screws holding your powersupply into the case if you cant attach it direct to ground try that.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Thats not really that old to me but in computer terms thats old school :tazz: