Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

video goes out

• Please log in to reply

kelleydm

kelleydm

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
have a perplexing issue to me. have been building systems for awhile now and for some reason as of late have been having a miriad of problems. this particular build that i am doing atm has an ecs 741gx-m mb, 512mg pc3200 mem, sempron 2200+ cpu. temp never gets above 31c in the cmos. after running for a min or so even wehn just in cmos monitoring the cpu temp it seems to lose video have not ever had this problem before. any help would be appreciated. it has a 400w power suppy in it with the following specs. +3.3v = 26a, +5 = 30a, +12 = 12a,
-12 = .8a, -5v = .5a, +5vsb = 2a. thank you agian for your help in this matter.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I would just get back to basics . . . .Always helps me

1- check Power suppy connections to motherboard - pull - inspect pins - reconnect

2 - pull video card - inspect connectors & re-insert

3 - check monitor cables & connections - (both ends)

4 - verify all fans are on . . . . including PS. . . . & VIDEO CARD . .

5 - recheck motherboard hold down & NO CHASSIS TO CASE SHORTS
OR PINCHED WIRES . . . .

6 - try loosening motherboard & try again. . . . .may be pinching a wire
or flexed too much???

7 - also verify all loose unused connections are safe . . . .

Is this a new or used monitor . . . .do you have another monitor to try?

How about video card?

Pretty tough when you can't see the screen . . . .

Good Luck - Post back
Jack123

kelleydm

kelleydm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
1. power supply connections to motherboard are good.
2. has built in video setting are correct.
3. monitor cable connections and pins are correct. Same thing happens on any monitor I use it on. Have tried three different. Two of them new.
4. power supply fan, case fans all working video has no fan.
5. all hold downs are proper and can see not possible short areas or pinched wires
6. loosened motherboard no change.
7. all unused connections are zip tied safely
8. this is a new motherboard, cpu and memory. All have been tested and passed all tests.
9. computer ran in cmos pchealth screen for about 7 min then video went out. Fans still running though. Cpu temp only 28c.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Read Post by Staff: . . . at top of page....

"New build computer problems? What to do now?"

If temp is only 28 C??? is it working . . . did you take heat sink off or fan ? . . . .new chip? read post rom staff . . . good info!!!

Jack123

kelleydm

kelleydm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes cpu is working, have not taken cpu out of board was shipped as a unit. was trying to avoid that. will be pulling board from case and seeing if same problem exists while out of case. might be something to do with case. though have been using these cases for new builds and had no problems as of yet. maybe a design change has occured that i can not see. hmmm

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Try posting in: "System Building and Overclocking"

Seems that is where you might/should receive most "logical/related posts"??

Just a suggestion
Jack123

kelleydm

kelleydm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
seemed to have found problem at least it has not shown any signs of dying. it was the reset switch. something when plugged into the mb was shorting or something and killing the video. diconnected it. dont really need a reset anyways not the best way to close windows. lol. thank you for all the assistance. now on to the other prob. thank you agian.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Good luck!!

However;

I do not consider a problem solved until I find & correct:

"THE ROOT CAUSE"

Jack123

kelleydm

kelleydm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
the problem was found to be the reset switch was grounding on the case. taped it up and now is functioning normaly. thank you agian for all the assist on this matter.