Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video card question

• Please log in to reply

VGamr

VGamr

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
i am goin to b gettin a nvidia geforce 5500 ultra pci card.I out found i have no pci express or agp slot figures that dell would do this :tazz: but other than that will this card be able to play star wars galaxies with no problem?o and im getting 1024mb of ram from dell.my friend tells me i will be more than suited to play these games with it just wanted to make sure.thnx guys ;)

Edited by VGamr, 07 July 2005 - 10:03 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i was not aware the geforce 5500 came in the ultra class....are you certain that is not a pci express perhaps?

I've only seen one geforce 5500 card with 128mb of ram.

The 5500 is a quieter, slightly higher clocked 5200 card, so expect similar performance to an AGP 5200 with the pci 5500 card. Again, the ultra designation....that confuses me.

Usually, the ultra means better memory and a slightly higher clock still

VGamr

VGamr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
yea its got 256mb its on bestbuy.com for 146.00 lol my friend said its good and it comes in agp pci and pci express and my comp can only run pci so im stuck for a while lol :tazz: heres the website click it check it out http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1099392683347

Edited by VGamr, 07 July 2005 - 08:12 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the 5500 series, thats a pretty old card. I also cant find anything about an ultra model...
here is a list from newegg of 5500 cards. check out the prices! for what you are talking about spending at bestbuy, you could get whole lot more video card!!!

edit- the pny card at the bottom of that list is the best available from newegg in PCI. but its still 1/3 less money!

Edited by audioboy, 07 July 2005 - 08:31 PM.

VGamr

VGamr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
yea ive looked there just my dad dont wanna put his credit card on the internet so im stuck buyin from a store lol but i think im gonna get that one i looked at the 6200 but i done know if it comes in pci so and thats all mine can do as i always say dam u dell!!!! :tazz: i wish i had an agp interface or pci express slot but i dont.....lol thnx neway

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I have some good news. Well, I still have Travelers; Geico has not called. But I do have good news for you. I just bout the eVGA nVidida Geforce AGP 5500 for my Dell 4600. It was only about 66 dollars at newegg. How did you find out that you cannot handle AGP? Is your Dell an older model? But back to buying on Newegg. For nVidia quality, go with PNY or with eVGA. And Newegg accepts money orders and cashier's checks. So technically, you can still buy online without using his credit card. The only downside is that you have to pay the big 70 cent fee for a money order (unless your bank offers free cashier's checks) and that you have to wait a little longer as the post office will take like 3 days to deliver the money order. But to save like 80 dollars, I would wait the three days.

Edited by lionelhutz5, 09 July 2005 - 08:04 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Give your dad a swift kick up the rear, the internet is safer than using it in a shop! As long as you buy from somewhere reputable like newegg you will be fine. The internet is the cheapest way to shop for everything, if you have any other relatives or friends with a creedit card amybe they would do it buy it for you and you just give them the money.

VGamr

VGamr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
yea i called dell and they told me i have no agp slot on my computers motherboard my comp is a 2400 lol.but yea ive looked on newegg and i already got my card i wish i saw it on there on it b4 but now i know if i want to get a better card later on.i asked my aunt if she would buy it cause her husband can get a discount on it from where he works same wit my ram but other than that it would take even longer to send it to me safely from massacheusets lol.and dells runnin a special on there ram 71.99 for a 512mb now yay orderin on monday.my dad just wont believe it that its really safe online to buy but i just cant get through to him with that.well my aunt should be movin down here so if she does and i need a computer upgrade cheap i will ask and give her the money a lil easier.first game im gonna be playin is star wars galaxies when i am all set with my stuff then when ram comes i will b able to play any game almost.also thought bout gettin a 120gb hard drive for my comp and if i do i have to reinstall windows xp i have the dell reinstall cd for it so it should work just wanted to ask that gonna check newegg for the price on it first :tazz: thnx ppl ;)

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I know, Dell overprices their peripherals (especially their printer ink - 120 bucks for a printer with a color and black cartidge in it. But a color and black cartridge itself costs 60 bucks So what they are saying is that you are getting a printer, scanner, copier, and fax machine for only 60 bucks regular price - cmon.) Whether it is one stick of 512 or 2x256, or 4x128, 72 bucks is a lot for ram. They like to prey off of the consumer new to computers who doesn't know that he or she can get better parts cheaper somewhere other than the computer manufacturer.

VGamr

VGamr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
lol been through the whole can i use other ram on my computer talked to their tech support and best buys geek squad the both said no for mine althogh the geek squad guy said certain dell computers will work with orhter ram but it all depends what type of comp and i said a 2400 and he said no srry man yur stuck buyin theres so now ive been lookin through newegg and finding a whole bunch of things to make a new computer when i get the money later on.

VGamr

VGamr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
actually instead i am gonna get a new motherboard buy some different ram if it doesnt work in it a better hard drive a better processor and i should be fine lol.o and a game card