Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

corrupted mssmbios.sys

• Please log in to reply

davidj3d

davidj3d

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was hanging up and unable to figure out what the issue was. machine would boot in safe mode but not normally. I ended up reapiring my installaiton (I had XP SP2) with the original XP CD and now SP2 seems to not be there, although the firewall is and is working ... but now mssmbios.sys is reporting as being corrupted.

I also cannot run regedit it says it is corrupted and closes the cmd shell window when it tries to launch. This was a problem before the rapair.

I am trying to get this system back up and online to make fxing things easier, but the installation CD for my AT7T wireless card hangs as soon as it starts the install. Whidch is what led to my investigation that discovered the warning on mssmbios.sys

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
xp doesn't like being repaired with a service pack 1 system when it had sp2 installed. since you have the disks you may want to just format reinstall (though wait and see if someone has less drastic sollutions)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dsenette, good to see you again. Had not seen you for a while.

david,

mssmbios.sys is a microsoft system management bios driver...a pretty important file....not sure what is going on here. Don't think it even is included in pre-sp2 installations.

Running a repair of sp2 with a sp1 disk normally does not create this kind of issue, but results in you needing to reinstall all the service packs and hotfixes.

So, servicepack is NOT there. the remnants of it are, however, it seems.

So, reinstall sp2, I guess.

You can download the network installation version and burn to a cd if you cannot get this machine on the internet

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
*off topic* yeah, haven't really had any ideas for problems lately. on the topic of "haven't seen in a while" where's johnnyrotten been?congrats on your promo.

anyway..back to the problem at hand.

i had a problem similar to this one shortly after SP2 came out. though it didn't have the same effects. but a few files got corrupted after my repair.....could be unrelated though...it was a pretty crappy system