Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS-DOS Gerater than 640kb RAM?

• Please log in to reply

aoresteen

aoresteen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I vagely recall that you can get up to 720KB of RAM in MS-DOS if you free up some reserved memory for the ega card (maybe CGA?).

I'm not taking about extended or expanded or UMB, just conventional memory. As I reall there was a utility that would let you do it.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I've used MS-DOS since 1985 or so.

Thanks!

Tony

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Being a sort of history buff of older OSes I have MS-DOS6.2.2 on a couple of disks larger than 512mb and have used them on a computer, the one I'm on right now, which has server slide trays installed so I can work with different disks and OSes, quite successfully. What you have to do is load himem.sys and emm386.exe into ram. I think you have to make these entries in the config.sys file at the end of the other entries.

device=C:\dos\himem.sys

device=C:\dos\emm386.exe

aoresteen

aoresteen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, but that's not what I'm asking about. I used to have a utility that would free op 80KB of RAM just above the 640 barrier.

I use the EM386 driver to get to the UMB & RAMBOOTS to optimaize it but I wanted to open up the area just above the 640 barrier .

aoresteen

aoresteen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I found a utility that takes 96K from the VGA card and expands conventional memory from 640k to 736k

It's called AddMem. Loacted at:

http://www.bookcase....til.memory.html

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
memmaker was a utility included with dos 6.22....try running that