Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewire and Harddrive running slow

• Please log in to reply

GarrettZ

GarrettZ

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a firewire PCI card and a 200GB Maxtor SATA harddrive for song files storage and they both are running abnormally slow. The firewire can't sync up with my recording interface and my harddrive takes forever to load song files. In the beginning it all worked perfectly. The only thing I did was transfer the computer and recording interface from my house to my bus.
I've removed my firewire card and it doesn't fix the harddrive problem. I"ve also disconnected the harddrive to see if that would have anything to do with it and it didn't.
I have my OS on a seperate harddrive and nothing else.

Any suggestions?

My setup:
Motherboard - ASUS P4P800 SE
Harddrives - 80GB Maxtor SATA, 200GB Maxtor SATA
CPU - P4 (HT) 3.2ghz
FireWire - NEC OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394
RAM - Crucial 1GB DDR

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Always runs slow, or sometimes (like the first time you use it)?

Is the drive ON the firewire interface?

Have you added anything else to the system? Since the firewire card is on the pci bus, did you add another pci card? I ask because PCI slots will share an interrupt.

Defragged the drive lately?

GarrettZ

GarrettZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It's always slow and the firewire is the only PCI card. The harddrive is on a SATA port so I don't think it's on the same interface as the firewire card. I've tried defragging and it didn't help.