Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

media player suggestions

• Please log in to reply

gacharya

gacharya

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'm new to the mp3 player world and I'm trying to find the right media player for my computer (that's not iTunes). I've thought about Real or WinAmp, but I'm not sure how well they do with respect to trying to sync to an mp3 player (i.e., does it do a good job compressing music and stuff like that). I also want a player that can find duplicate tracks and eliminate them from the library. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
What is wrong with windows media player? When ripping music from a CD you can save it as low as low as 48kbps in wma and 128kbps in mp3. And I have found that when copying music from a CD it will not copy ones that it already has. Is there any reason that you or any one else don't like it?

gacharya

gacharya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was just wondering if there was something better. If you look at my other post (which no one has responded to yet), http://www.geekstogo...lem-t42295.html, there is a problem which is preventing me frm using the Media Player to my fullest extent. So, I was just thinking that there might be another, better player. Is there?

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Best media player with out a doubt is mplayer, http://www.mplayerhq...sign7/news.html

there is a windows build of it and a GUI too.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

I highly recommend foobar2000, it is an amazing media player, and can play basically anything.

foobar2000:
http://www.foobar2000.org/

B

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Its an audio player not a video player....

Or does it do vids too?

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
It's an audio player, but it's possible it has a plugin for video. I don't know for sure. The question didn't say anything about video though...

B

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Media usualy means both, i think :tazz:

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Yes, it usually does, but the poster only mentions playing audio files, therefore I assumed it was only for audio files and not for video. :tazz:

B

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I'm trying to find the right media player for my computer

He said he wanted a Media player :tazz:, but i agree foobar2000 and mplayer are both pretty good.

Edited by ratmilk, 08 July 2005 - 06:53 PM.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
I always have to put a plug-in for my favorite open source multimedia player, Media Player Classic! Plays nearly every file I have thrown at it and plays DVD's to boot with a nice light GUI with small memory foot print.

Check it out at:

http://sourceforge.n...ackage_id=84358

Cheers,
Tom

He said he wanted a Media player :tazz:, but i agree foobar2000 and mplayer are both pretty good.

View Post