Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does the chipset really matter

• Please log in to reply

Lane Rendell

Lane Rendell

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just got a new graphics card and thinking about running BF 2. Will my card run it even though my chipset it below the 5700 required, everything else is compatabile.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
check the website for the game for a list of compatible cards. many game sites will offer an extensive list of cards that can run the game.
if your card falls below the minimum threshold, dont expect much luck. if it runs at all, it will be like gettings postcards from the game- a series of still images, nothing resembling actual video...

cards that fall into the low end category supported by games can be had really cheap these days, so its something to consider.
if you want to get something that will support games for a while, you can get into the midpriced consumer category, expecting to spend around $150.
let us know what you would like to do, and we can make some recomendations if you like.

Lane Rendell

Lane Rendell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Aye my chipset isnt listed as support though it has the required VRAM and such.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
im not too surprised. the 5700 is fairly old, and you bought something below that...

if you want recomendations, tell me if your using PCI, AGP, or PCIExpress. any preference for ATI or NVIDIA chipsets? and how much do you want to spend (upper limit, I will try to find something below that of course!) if you can return the card you just bought (im guessing a 5200) factor that into budget. did you buy online, at a store, etc.
for example, I bought a card at compusa a few months ago, tried it but wasnt real happy with performance. they have a 21 day return policy- any reason at all. so I took it back and upgraded. they took one look at what I had bought and guessed it; "not good enough?" :tazz:

Lane Rendell

Lane Rendell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
lol
I'm on PCI and my limit is 120 dollars. I'm pretty broke. :tazz:
Id prefer NVIDIA as EA sold themselves to NVIDIA pretty much. ;)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
interestingly I was just looking at available PCI graphics cards for another thread. found nothing above the 5500 series for nvidia, and the 9250 series for ATI.
both fall below the supported threshold for BF2.
hate to say it, but your gonna have a hard time trying to make something work without at least an AGP slot.

whats interesting is that it is now more expensive to buy a PCI card than an AGP, and AGP is more expensive than PCIExpress.

try checking ebay or amazon for pci cards that can meet the spec, you might find something.

you could try running the game with the card you have, if you crank the game settings down to minimum you might be able to get playable frame rates...heres hoping!

Lane Rendell

Lane Rendell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks man I appreciate your help. :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
sure thing! happy to help out (or try in this case)

let me know how it goes, I like to hear what ends up happening!

Lane Rendell

Lane Rendell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ehh even if it doesnt work there are some well ways around it.