Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading memory ddr dimm 512

• Please log in to reply

Alexius

Alexius

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
hello i am a complete noob when it comes to memory i have just brought a new graphics card radeon x700 256mb coz it was going cheap. my games look better but i still think i need that extra umph so i was thinking of upgrading my ram memory. i already have 512 mb

i waant to know how would i go about choosing which type and how will i know if it will be compatable.

specs

amd athon xp 2800 2.09 ghz processor
asrock sis746 cpu to pci bridge
512 mb memory and i have downloaded this program sisoftware sandra which tell you all about ur pc and it said my maximum installable memory is 384 mb whats up with that?

any help and things i should definatly not do would be great help
thanks

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi alexius, welcome-

could you please post the make/model of your motherboard? that info should be included in the sandra report.
this will allow us to check what you can load it up with, etc.

also, if you can find out what is the manufacturer of your current RAM, as well as if its one 512 stick, or two 256 sticks, etc. the sandra report should include the ram speed, number of sticks installed, as well.
for speed, I am hoping to get a number like PC2100 (or 2700 or 3200), or a number such as 266 Mhz, (or 333 or 400).

post that info back, and we will get you set up!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Your board supports DDR266/333/400.
I would ignore Sisoft in this particular instance. If the 512MB you already have is in a single module, then it wills support a second 512MB module. Your board apparently supports a max of 3GB but this is only if its DDR266, with DDR333 it supports a max of 2GB and with DDR400, it only supports 1GB.

I would purchase another module that matches the first one if I were you ie, it current one is DDR333 for example, get another DDR333 stick etc

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Go to www.crucial.com and do a search there for your system or your motherboard.. They will tell you what you can use and the maximum amount allowed..

Then, if you buy from them, it comes with a money-back guarantee if it doesn't work!!

Murray