Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver does not find nVidia chip set

• Please log in to reply

des2105

des2105

• Pip
  • 3 posts
For various reasons I have had to reformat the hard drive on my win 98SE system. I have always been able to reload necessary drivers to bring the system back to operating condition. This time has been a nightmare to say the least.

I am now attempting to get any nVidia drivers (downloaded from nVidia) to recognize my Riva TnT2 graphics card. I have tried everything but to no avail. I even attempted to move my ethernet card and my video card because they shared the same interrupt code (11). The video card could not be physically moved as the connector it was in was the only one that would physically accommodate it and the ethernet card when moved would no longer work.

How does one get the nVidia driver to recognize an nVidia graphics card. You would think they would be a natural fit. In the past it has been so easy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you load the motherboard drivers? You should have no problem with nvidia drivers as long as you downloaded the correct ones for you card.

What happens? Are you gettings some kind of error?

makai

des2105

des2105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Makai,

Thanks for your input.

What motherboard drivers. As I said, I have done this a few times before and usually everything went fine. I have never had to reload motherboard drivers - whatever they are.

The error message I get is as follows: "Setup was unable to locate any NVIDIA graphics chips on this system. The installation will be terminated."

I don't know if that helps at all. It is almost as if windows doesn't know the graphics card is there and as a result, the video driver is unable to get a cue from windows - if in fact that is how it all works.

I appreciate your help and would welcome any other suggestions you or anyone else might have.

Dave

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Normally when you load Win98, you have to load motherboard drivers... chipset, IDE/PCI controllers, etc. Your motherboard manufacture should have the drivers on their site.

Open up Device manager and see if you have any yellow question marks for IDE controllers or perhaps unknown devices.

What kind of motherboard do you have?

Sorry I can't be of more direct help.

makai

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
By the way, on my Win98se machine, I don't use the latest driver. I'm still using 45.23. I guess I stayed with that because my GForce3 card liked it and also because somewhere along the line nvidia changed the way you adjust the Overlay control.

Perhaps if you're trying to use the latest driver you should step back to an earlier version you know worked before. Here's the link for the archive drivers>>>

http://www.nvidia.co...9x_archive.html

makai

des2105

des2105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Makai,

Thank you so much. I tried the archived nVidia website - selected the 45.23 version - and it loaded perfectly and upon reboot I had my old monitor back again.
A week's worth of pulling my hair out and success at last!

Thank you so much. I am pretty much a newbie but if I can ever help you, just let me know.

Dave

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome Dave!

makai

jookieapc

jookieapc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In my opinion nVidia have been irresponsible on this one. In their most recent Windows 98*admin Forceware release, support for TNT 2 was dropped. You can find that out if you look at products supported.

http://www.nvidia.co..._supported.html

The following products are not supported in the current ForceWare Release 75 driver.  Please continue to use the previous ForceWare Release 70 drivers available here.

TNT2
TNT2 Pro
TNT2 Ultra
TNT2 Model 64 (M64)
TNT2 Model 64 (M64) Pro
<snip> etc.

But if you just go to their website, choose download drivers -> Graphics Driver -> GeForce and TNT2 -> Windows 98. It takes you to drivers that don't work with TNT 2!

Silly ning nongs, wasting my time and who knows how many other people. I'd email them and tell them their mistake but they don't provide any readily findable contact details.

So, if you download http://www.nvidia.co...in9x_71.84.html
At the top of the products supported list is

Products Supported

Product Support List Windows 9x - 71.84

TNT2
TNT2 Pro
TNT2 Ultra
TNT2 Model 64 (M64)
TNT2 Model 64 (M64) Pro

The problem was already solved here but I thought I'd provide an explanation since I fell into the same trap.

Wouldn't a unified forum registration system be nice? ie. register once and use it everywhere. That sounds like a Microsoft Passport I suppose but no where useful I've ever been uses them.