Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Locks Up When Opening Video Files

• Please log in to reply

jamesm601

jamesm601

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My system (see specs below) has completely lost the ability to play video files,
except in a couple of scenarios. It will play videos that are embedded in banner ads, or played from within a game. (Battlefield 2's intro video plays fine)

I've also managed to get the stand alone Quicktime player to play videos by changing the preferences to "Safe Mode (GDI only)". But .mov clips in website embedded Quicktime players will not work.

The whole system completely locks up when playing videos of any format (.mpg, .avi, .mov, .wmv) in Windows Media
Player (WMP), Quicktime or DIVX. WMP can play audio files, but video is a
lost cause.

If the file is smal enough, and I catch it in time, i can use task manager to kill the process using 99% of CPU resources, which is usually IE or WMP. Otherwise I have to do a hard boot.

I've done the following:

Reinstalled direct x 9c,
Installed Updated Nvidia drivers
Reinstalled up to date versions of all media players
Scanned for viruses, adware and spyware.
Installed Windows Media Encoder

As a last resort, I'm considering a Windows XP reinstall. Just
wondering if anyone thinks this is worth a try, or am I on the wrong track?
I'm close to abandoning all hope, renouncing all material goods, and joining
a commune. Ok, it's not that bad, but close!

I suspect that I may have clicked on a link to a .wmv file with some
malicious code, but I have nothing to back that up.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Specs:
P4 2.4 ghz
1.5 gb DDR333 RAM
Asus P4SDX Mobo
Win XP (all updates)
GeForce 6600GT 128mb RAM (latest drivers)

Advertisements

fzbreech

fzbreech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the exact same problem!

I just put in a Leadtek 6600GT with the Nvidia 77.72 driver and I get the feeling the problem stems from new video card. Same story for me, running BF2 is ok, everything but trying to open a video is ok.

My system is a Win2k, AMD XP 2000+, Abit Mobo. If anyone has any ideas why this problem occurs?? James what make is your video card?

Edited by fzbreech, 10 July 2005 - 03:41 PM.

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Lol, i also have the same problem, I just installed a Gigabyte 6600TD with the 77.72 Drivers. My specs, 512MB DDR Ram, AMD XP 2800+, Gigabyte motherboard. DX 9.0C.

And i also lag when games play there videos, (like intros), but not at all during games.
I also lagged on videos when i had my Gigabyte GeForce FX 5200.
Anyone know why?

-Zac

Edited by ratmilk, 10 July 2005 - 03:56 PM.

jamesm601

jamesm601

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey there fzbreech and ratmilk,

Wow. I was starting to think I was the only one in the world with this problem. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.

:tazz:

fzbreech,
My Video card is a GigaByte GeForce 6600 GT. Model name: GV-N66T128D. My Nvidia drivers are 7.7.7.2 as well.

I just talked to a buddy of mine who suggested that I look into updating my Motheboard's bios. The MoBo is about 2.5 years old, and he thinks it might be an issue with the AGP slot communicating with the new card. You would thing they'd be compatable just by virtue of the card being AGP8x, but you never know.

Interesting that all three of us have the 6600 chipset. I'll also check GigaByte's site to see if there are any firmware updates for the card.

I'll let you guys know if I come with any leads. Please do the same.

Thanks and good luck!

fzbreech

fzbreech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Little update.

I tried a few different older drivers and still had the problem. I swapped the 6600GT into another machine I have (AMD Sempron, ASUS mobo) and played several videos perfectly. Originally with a 66.39 driver and then again with the 77.72 driver, hoping to recreate the problem. But even with the newest driver videos played perfect. So I think I ruled out driver issues. I also put in my old Ti4400 and videos played fine, so its definitely something with the video card. Starting to think its a mobo conflict. The machine I have the problem in is 4x AGP, while the one it works fine in is 8X AGP. That may be the problem. Do you guys have 4X AGP?

jamesm601

jamesm601

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Mine is 8x. I'll have to try my old Ti4600. Thanks for the information, fz.

Little update.

I tried a few different older drivers and still had the problem.  I swapped the 6600GT into another machine I have (AMD Sempron, ASUS mobo) and played several videos perfectly.  Originally with a 66.39 driver and then again with the 77.72 driver, hoping to recreate the problem.  But even with the newest driver videos played perfect.  So I think I ruled out driver issues.  I also put in my old Ti4400 and videos played fine, so its definitely something with the video card.  Starting to think its a mobo conflict.  The machine I have the problem in is 4x AGP, while the one it works fine in is 8X AGP.  That may be the problem.  Do you guys have 4X AGP?

View Post

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Nup, mine is a 8X AGP. I have no idea with the freezes and lagging, its performance is better than my FX 5200, but im starting to doubt its stablitity.

Edited by ratmilk, 12 July 2005 - 05:43 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try adjusting your agp 8x to 4x and see if that helps

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Okay, when i get home, I have to goto skool now :'(

jamesm601

jamesm601

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'll try that. Is that a BIOS setting, or can I change it from within Windows?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you should be able to adjust it from the advance properties of your display settings. if not then you can adjust it in the bios.

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
"As a last resort, I'm considering a Windows XP reinstall. Just
wondering if anyone thinks this is worth a try, or am I on the wrong track?"

Don't do that :tazz:, i have a fresh install of windows, still same problem...

mitso6989

mitso6989

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Does everyone have an Abit motherboard that has the 6600GT video card? That may be the issue.

McAdder

McAdder

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yep, same problem here to.

ABit NF7-S v2 with new Gainward GT6600.

HELP!

fzbreech

fzbreech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My new theory is its the VIA chipset....I'm just stabbing in the dark at this point. But I have an Abit with the VIA chipset and I have the problem. James is Asus and ratmilk is Gigabyte so I dont think its just Abit, but maybe they all share the same chipset??

The other computer I tested my card in is an Asus with the Nforce2 chipset and it works fine. I've exhausted all possiblilites I think and about ran out of patience, so tomorrow I think I am getting a new mobo and it better solve my problems. :tazz:

Edit: I just looked up the specs for the ABit NF7-S and its Nforce2, so that pretty much blows my theory out of the water. There seems to be no common thread here as far a hardware is concerned. ;)

Edited by fzbreech, 16 July 2005 - 06:35 PM.