Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Locks Up When Opening Video Files

• Please log in to reply

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
read the other forum post about media player freezing. the issue is that those with the nvidia card are having all kinds of issues. you need to revert back to the 71.xx drivers (normally something like 77.12 that may have come with your driver cd). This has resolved many issues, but not all.

first update your chipset drivers (especially the agp driver), next removed and reinstall your video drivers per above. if you still have issues change your agp settings from 8x to 4x.

ok I could go on a rant about via chipsets... I could fill several pages about them... but that would only get this thread off topic.

Advertisements

mitso6989

mitso6989

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ok, I got the old 71.89 drivers from Nvidia and they worked. Too bad I had just wiped out my OS and with it all my hours of installing and configuring, but at least it works.
Thank you everyone. :tazz:

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I wonder if nVidia will fix them :tazz:

jamesm601

jamesm601

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Starjax,

Thanks you SO MUCH! I downgraded my NVidia drivers, and that FINALLY solved the problem. Obviously, nVidia needs to release some drivers that don't mess up your system, but I'm so releaved to have finally solved this. Really, can't thank you enough!!

:tazz:

read the other forum post about media player freezing.  the issue is that those with the nvidia card are having all kinds of issues.  you need to revert back to the 71.xx drivers (normally something like 77.12 that may have come with your driver cd).  This has resolved many issues, but not all.

first update your chipset drivers (especially the agp driver),  next removed and reinstall your video drivers per above.  if you still have issues change your agp settings from 8x to 4x. 

ok I could go on a rant about via chipsets...  I could fill several pages about them...  but that would only get this thread off topic.

View Post

mitso6989

mitso6989

• Pip
  • 8 posts
who's fault is it? I got the impression that is was a VIA chipset communication problem on the motherboard, which is why Nvidia is not fixing it saying "it's not our problem". Someone needs to fix it because there are features like dynamic shadows on BF2 that don't work unless you have the latest Nvidia drivers.

lashton

lashton

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A Downgrade will work it is a fault with the Nvidia drivers, there is NO way of emailing them from the site so they probally got thier heads stuck up thier asses and don't even know that I am going to spend $2000 on ATI Video Cards because if this problem, i am sick of them bringing out crappy drivers!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
the latest version is supposed to address this issue. you will also need to update your agp driver. that has fixed quite a few problems for others.

mitso6989

mitso6989

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Their last update was June 22 2005, and that one didn't work for me, maybe the next one will. I've found so many people with this problem, almost everyone I've talked to is running old drivers and/or switching to ATI. NVIDIA GET OFF YOUR [bleep]!!!!

mitso6989

mitso6989

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Nvidia has a new update 77.77, anyone having any luck with it fixing our problem?

Roman Footsoldier

Roman Footsoldier

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just got 77.77 yesterday...no luck. Let me give my story on this exact same problem.

It started a couple weeks ago, like everyone else here, out of nowhere. One day all videos played fine, and the next they didn't. It happened while trying to watch "Shaun of the Dead." Media Player version 10 said I didn't have the right codec. The movie was an mpeg and I never had any problems with mpegs so I downloaded GSpt codec information appliance. It said I needed the XVID codec. I downloaded that, and the first time I tried to watch it my machine locked up hard. These were my specs at the time:

Home-built system
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
DFI Lanparty UT nForce 3 250gb motherboard (nforce 3 chipset, driver version 6.39)
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 128MB video card (not sure what driver version it was, it was a previous update before 77.77)
1 GB RAM
Maxtor 80GB hard drive
XP Service Pack 2
Media Player 10
DVIX 5.0

Here's what I tried:

1. unistalled XVID codec. same problem.
2. upgraded to DVIX 6.0. Still froze whether I used media player or DVIX.
3. uninstalled GSpot.
4. reinstalled DVIX 5.0, nothing worked.

Then I came here. On starjax's advice I updated video card drivers to 77.77, then I updated nForce 3 chipset drivers from NVIDIA website.....BIG MISTAKE. Upon restart with the new mobo drivers, first windows would not boot. When it did boot, it wouldn't recognize my system managment bus, PCI bridge device, IDE controller, on-board LAN, or on-board sound....all the things that the mobo drivers were supposed to update. So I reinstalled the drivers I found when I built my system. That's when I realized that I had a higher version number originally. The nForce 3 chipset drivers I HAD were version 6.39 (device manager tells me all the driver components like SM bus, PCI bridge, LAN, and sound from 6.39 were published in january of 2005). But the drivers you can d/l from NVIDIA and DFI are version 5.10, published on September 17, 2004. So it seems I had newer motherboard drivers than either company's website??

I also changed AGP to 4x in BIOS with no effect.

Now, everything works again, EXCEPT ALL VIDEO FORMATS AND STREAMING ONLINE VIDEO. Games seem to work fine, BF2 intro video plays and Guild Wars plays ok. At least all my mobo components work again and I can play audio again using on-board sound, but no dice on video. What's most puzzling to me is why all of us had the same problem out of nowhere one day, when everything worked before and we had no system reconfigurations. And all around the same time too, within the last month. It kind of seems like a RAM problem to me at this point. Sorry for the lengthy post....just trying to be specific.

ALSO: during the motherboard driver update/uninstall/reinstall, BIOS halts with a keyboard error "KEYBOARD IS LOCKED OUT. PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE." BIOS and windows won't boot unless I physically press F1, which I never had to do before. Once I'm in windows, the keyboard works fine, so it's not like windows can't detect my keyboard. Suggestions?

Edited by Roman Footsoldier, 16 August 2005 - 08:57 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
update your agp drivers. that has resolved the issue for everyone else.

Roman Footsoldier

Roman Footsoldier

• Pip
  • 7 posts
How do I update AGP drivers only? I have a DFI mobo with nvidia chipset....as i said before the chipset drivers from nvidia give me major problems, and I didnt see AGP driver updates on DFI's website.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
which board do you have?

Roman Footsoldier

Roman Footsoldier

• Pip
  • 7 posts
DFI lanparty UT nf3 250 gb

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, after spending an hour going through drivers and info you have me stumped. nvidia drivers for the nforce do everything. they aren't separated out as to agp, ide, usb, ect. As to the keyboard issue just go into the bios. there should be a place for halting on keyboard errors. clear that and it should be ok.

is is just that one movie or are others doing it?