Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Locks Up When Opening Video Files

• Please log in to reply

mitso6989

mitso6989

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I think you are missing the point. With any Nvidia driver above 71.89 the video card has no harware acceleration, so no directX, no accelerated features, it works like a $10 video card. My Abit board uses the Nvida chipset too, and there are no updates for my BIOS as of yet.
71.89 driver works fine, just don't get some extended features like the new dynamic shadows in BF2 and I'm sure a lot more of things but hard to tell what I don't have.

Advertisements

Roman Footsoldier

Roman Footsoldier

• Pip
  • 7 posts
all movies are doing it, even streaming video online. I figured the chipset drivers would update everything on the motherboard, but i'm still confused about one thing.... why are my original mobo drivers (from jan-feb) more recent than the one from nvidia's or DFI's website? I origianlly had driver ver. 6.39 on my mobo, but the nforce chipset drivers from nvidia and DFI are version 5.10 from september of last year. Is there any harm in trying to reinstall the 5.10 drivers? I had conflicts the first time, but maybe a reinstall will work.

A friend suggested trying Registry Mechanic. Any advice on reg cleaning? Could it help this problem?

mitso6989

mitso6989

• Pip
  • 8 posts
the problem that we are having I believe are below the registry in the firmware of the motherboard or possibly Nvidia's driver not speaking to the motherboard resources properly. I've see this kind of problem before and history supports the idea that if it hasn't been resolved by now it won't be, becuase new hardware will come out and they do not have time to keep fixing code based on aging hardware like ours.

Roman Footsoldier

Roman Footsoldier

• Pip
  • 7 posts
mitso you were right, 71.89 allows me to play videos, but game performance on BF2 in noticeably worse. I also made a discovery: my motherboard drivers (6.39) were made for nforce 4 chipset but they are backwards compatible with nf3 chipsets. my mobo company, DFI, has a nforce3 driver version 6.37. But nvidia has nf4 driver 6.66 that is compatible with nf3 chips and made specifically for athlon 64/windows xp 32-bit systems. Does anyone see a problem with trying nf4 6.66, or should I play it safe and use nf3 6.37 since it comes from my motherboard manufacturer?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if it doesn't work then the worst that happens is that you have to boot into safe mode and uninstall them.

Roman Footsoldier

Roman Footsoldier

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I DID IT!!!!! By accident of course. Turns out all I had to do was to install GART driver 4.36 (4/2/2004) from nvidia UDP 5.10, which is the last UDP to include GART drivers. No idea WHY this worked, but it did....video, streaming video, and BF2 run perfect. Also, I installed nForce4 UDP 6.66 (latest release). Even though i have nforce3 chipset, it appears to be completely compatible, and it runs all my mainboard devices, although the "Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs" doesn't recognize the nvidia IDE controller, but it DOES show up in device manager as working correctly. Oddness. Maybe u guys want to try this?

thnx for all the help, I hope this will work for you guys.

mitso6989

mitso6989

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yep, it worked for me too. I had already updated my motherboard's other chips and had forgotten about the Nvidia chip on the board. After I updated that then put on the new video drivers there's quite a perfomance boost to all 3d graphics and textures.

Jo_gurt

Jo_gurt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm kind of confused =P sry for noob question, but you are all relating to the nv mobos, then what should I do for my VIA chipset mobo to make my gf6600 play video correctly on newest drivers? update via 4in1 drivers?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
jo--- update to the latest drivers for your video card from nvidia and then also update the via 4-in 1 drivers.

Jo_gurt

Jo_gurt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all, sry for delayed reply, i had other comp problems.
Big THANKS all, now my gf6600 plays videos on new drivers with no problems. All I had to do was to install newest VIA 4in1 Drivers (for me it was 5.00a). Now everything is perfect. Thx once again!

Advertisements