Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bizarre Gaming Problem

• Please log in to reply

soop92

soop92

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This all started a few days ago. In Counter-Strike: Source, Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2, the server list will not pop up. When I try to join a server in my favorites, I can sometimes get into it, but it lags like crazy. The weird thing is, regular Counter-Strike works fine for me. The server list comes up quickly and there is no lag when I get into a game. Battle.net games like Frozen Throne and Starcraft work fine. I tried turnign windows firewall off and deleting Norton. I tried opening the proper ports on my router, but I doubt that's the problem because the affected games worked fine on my old computer and on this new one until a couple of days ago. By the way, this a new computer with an excellent video card, so the problem couldn't be memory or graphics. I also ran a virus scan and a spyware scan. Neither one found anything. Any ideas? This is the weirdest computer problem I've ever encountered. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

soop92

soop92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I forgot to add that Ventrilo has also been lagging a bit. I don't know if that means anything.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Try disabling your firewall

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
it could be anything. more than likely you have a bad hop between you and the other servers.

ping the server and check response time.
then take the ip and do a "tracert 127.0.0.1" where the 127 ip address is the ip of your destination server. this will go through every hop it has to take before it reaches your game server. You may actually have a hop that either has a long response time or is down.

also you could post a Hijack this log and we can see if it looks clean. some spyware doesn't show up when using just one antispyware scanner.

soop92

soop92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have solved the problem. It turns out it was a weak wireless signal, if you can believe that. I was able to connect to the Internet and run most web-based apps, but the server list wouldn't refresh. I moved the computer a little closer to the base station and that solved the problem. My thanks to everyone who replied.