Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

abetterinternet, ceres, apropos, etc [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CMDMOM

CMDMOM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, it took several tries, but I finally have something on the screen. It said booting to emergency disk and a lot of stuff that I don't understand. Now I've got an A:\ on the screen. Can I get to DOS from here, or did I need to hit F8 while it was rebooting?

Thanks,
CMDMOM

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
type in restore and hit enter, or try /restore and hit enter.

Let me know what your options are.

Thanks,

Excal

CMDMOM

CMDMOM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Restore and /Restore both result in the message "Bad command or file name" Should I be at the A prompt or do I need to change to C?

Thanks,
Cathy

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
go into C

CMDMOM

CMDMOM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've got the C prompt now, but I'm still getting the Bad Command or Filename message.

CMDMOM

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
How about this one

C:\_RESTORE

Excal

CMDMOM

CMDMOM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nope.. Same message

CMDMOM

CMDMOM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Do I need to specify that I want to restore info from A: to C:?

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
This isn't looking good. I jsut found this out

Windows Millennium Edition (Me) includes the System Restore tool, but you cannot start the System Restore tool from a command prompt. Because of this, it may be useful to start the System Restore tool when you are unable to start your Windows Me-based computer normally or in Safe mode.

Do you still have your installation Windows ME Disc?

Excal

CMDMOM

CMDMOM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No, this system originally had Windows 95. Last fall I had a CD burner installed and apparently Windows 95 didn't support this, so the computer shop upgraded me to Windows Me. They never gave me any disks or information. Do you think I should bring it back there?

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
The problem is, you shouldn't have deleted User.Dat. I am sorry my instructions weren't clearer. The user.dat is where part of your registry is stored and thats why we are not able to boot it up. Without System Restore working in DOS, I am not sure what else we can do. You might call them and ask them if they have a suggestion.
Again I want to aplogize, I have never lost a computer, but I fear we have may have lost this one :tazz:

Excal

CMDMOM

CMDMOM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'll give the shop a call and if they have any suggestions, I'll let you know. Thanks for all of your help anyway. I'm sorry that it turned into such a nightmare.

CMDMOM

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Thank you for being understanding, and I would certainly like to know what happens if you don't mine letting me know. If they do get you straightened out, I have a whole bunch of free programs to help better protect you against getting any sort of infection.

Actually I will list it now, maybe it can help your sons computer out.

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs, if you don't already have them, for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE
Spybot S&D
Microsoft Anti-Spyware

If you are unhappy with your current antivirus and want to replace it or if you dont already have one, I suggest one of these free programs:
*Note - do not use more than one anti-virus program as it will more than likely cause conflict.

AVG
Avast
AntiVir

The following free programs are great for prevention:

SpywareBlaster 3.4
Spywareguard
IE/Spyad

A Firewall is a must! Here are 3 good free versions:

Sygate
Kerio
ZoneLabs

There are other options other than Internet Explorer for a browser, which some say have better security. Two of them are:

Firefox
Opera

If you decide to keep Internet Explorer, This site is a great source for tightening up security on It's settings.

Make sure that you keep your Operating System and IE updated with the latest Critical Security Updates from Microsoft...they usually come out once a month, on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

Be sure and give the Temp folders a cleaning out now and then as well, Make sure after you clean your Temp files to empty out your Recycle bin as well.
For ease use the following program:

Cleanup
Run "Cleanup" and when it has finished, Reboot

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided. Also read How I got Infected

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.