Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Build problem

• Please log in to reply

bmc2k7

bmc2k7

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, this computer is really baffling me, I cannot get it to boot, but I can make its lights and fans come on. I've tried everything in the Computer Build Problems thread, yet no success. The specs are as follows -
Mobo - Chaintech VNF4 ultra
Processor - AMD 3000+ 939pin Venice
Graphics Card - Rosewill x800xl PCI-e or PNY FX5200 PCI
RAM - Rosewill 2 x 512mb PC3200
Stock HS&F
430 watt PSU with 20 to 24pin adapter

I really want to get this thing up and working, help would be apreciated.

Edited by bmc2k7, 07 July 2005 - 09:09 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You tried everything, including the final steps as follow?

Still won’t go

1-Remove the motherboard from the case and place on a piece of cardboard
2-Install only the cpu with hsf, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, psu, video card, case switch and case speaker
3-Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
4-Repeat the above and power on
5-If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Do you hear any beeps on the system speaker as the system tries to boot? If you know for sure the system speaker is working, you can force a beep code by removing the ram (that is right, boot up with no ram installed). If you don't hear a beep the motherboard is bad.

bmc2k7

bmc2k7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I even tried removing the ram, I believe on the initial startup, the power supply blew the motherboard. As now that powersupply is not functioning either. So I hooked up a different power supply and it turned on the power, but no real effects otherwise. I already arranged an RMA last Friday after I couldn't get anything more out of it. Anyway thanks for the reply and that Build problems post helped me to figure out the problem.

kasik

kasik

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
yeah i have the same problem, my disk drives and all that will turn on including case fans. but my gfx card will not show up and no speaker sounds are being made..

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Have you checked to see whether the board you have supports the venice core cpu's out of the box? You may have an older revision bios chip on the board which isn't recognising the processor.

If so, you will need to flash the bios before the system will post / boot.

kasik

kasik

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
my motherboard is brand new out of the box. msi k8t neo2-f, so i doubt it is that.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Does it say it supports 90nm cores though?

Edit: I should have been more expansive. Your mobo may be brand new but if it is 'old stock', in that it was packaged before release of the 90nm cores earlier this year, chances are it will have an out of date bios chip which did not include support for the new processor cores.

Edited by KGH, 10 July 2005 - 08:17 PM.

kasik

kasik

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
where would i find that. just says supports up to 3500+,3800+ fx53

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Ok, have a look on the specs on the box or in the manual. I think the FX 53's were all 130nm, which may indicate the bios on board is an older revision.

Let me know if you turn anything up.

kasik

kasik

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
http://www.msi.com.t...ail.php?UID=608

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130469

some links the msi says the same as the box. reading the newegg comments sounding like i need to flash the bios. so how do i do that?

edit:// yeah the comment on newegg has nothing to do with cpu, but your post before about flashing.

Edited by kasik, 10 July 2005 - 08:29 PM.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Hey Kasik, this is a bit of a pain to do.

Before you do any of the below, you might want to check to make sure this is definitely the problem. Are there any indications in the manual of what bios revision is stored on the chip? I noticed on the MSI website that 'since Bios 6702v91' 90nm cores are supported by your board. If you can find out whether you have a different version to that (check manual) you can do a quick check on the web and their page for your version for compatibility with the 90nm cores.

You really have three options:

(1) Try and procure, from MSI or a third party provider, a new bios chip that you will have to insert directly onto the mobo. Painful.

(2) Take ithe mobo to a store and have them flash it.

(3) If you have access (and this is the most frustrating suggestion) to another 130nm core processor, you can install that, get the system to boot, download a newer bios supporting 90nm cores and then flash from a floppy drive. MSI will have instructions on their web page about this procedure.

kasik

kasik

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
tell me if this is a bios code but it looks like the some you had. ms-6702E v1.x

any ideas?

Edited by kasik, 10 July 2005 - 08:56 PM.

kasik

kasik

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
anyone know?