Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP shrank my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

Division by Zero

Division by Zero

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found this site through a Google search; it seems someone asked a similar question once before, but the replies didn't really cover what I am trying to find out.

I have an older computer; got it in 1998. Its running a 20 GB Maxtor as the primary drive, and I have a 200 GB drive connected by USB which I use for storage.

I used to run Windows 98 (and later Windows ME) until I got a virus. Decided the 20 gig could use a reformat anyway, so I reformatted it and took the opportunity to install Windows XP Pro. I have recently installed Service Pack 2.

Been running XP for a few weeks now, but I didn't notice the problem until just today when I got the "full hard drive" notice. Then I checked My Computer and saw the 20 gb Maxtor was only being read as a 7.82 gb drive. Also the 200gb drive was being read as only 186 gb. What gives?

I think the 200gb drive was read as about the same size under Windows ME, but the Maxtor was always displayed close to 20gb (ususally 18). Why the sudden drop to 7.8 now that I switched to XP?

Any advice would be welcome.

-Ender

Advertisements