Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED HELP WITH HARDDRIVE PLZZ

• Please log in to reply

andy_604

andy_604

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Every one i jus got my new harddrive im wondering on how to transfer my old files from the old harddrive to my new 1.. and also how will i go about installing windows on the new 1 and making it my master not slave. thanks alot

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Open you machine case and disconnect the original HDD frm your machine, replace it with the new HDD.
Install windows on the new HDD, then you can connect your original HDD as a slave by changing the jumpers on it.
Then by booting into windows you can see both HDD in your Windows Explorer, you can then just drag and drop files between the two drives.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

You have several options available to you.

Option 1 = You can easily find software on the market that is dedicated to moving data from one HD to another. Pros: Easy to do and fast. No need to reinstall Windows. Cons: Have to purchase software that you'll only use once or twice.

Option 2 = If you plan to use both HD's in the end, why not allow the new drive to be a slave? Depending on what type HD's you have, you could put both HD's on the same cable and setup the new drive with the XP Partition Manager. This will save you a lot of time because you won't have to move the data and you won't have to reinstall Windows! :tazz: Pros: Easy to do and fast. No additional software required. No need to reinstall Windows. Cons: Only works if you plan to use both HD's in the same system.

Option 3 = Switch the HD's around...making the old HD the slave and the new HD the master. Now you can install XP on the new drive. From the new Windows installation, you can easily copy data from the old HD to the new one. In some instances, you'll have to disable the original XP. You can disable the original XP from loading by editing the boot.ini file. We can help you with that if you need it. Pros: No additional software required. Cons: Takes a little longer than the other options. Must reinstall Windows. May have to edit boot.ini file. Will have to change jumpers on the Hard Drives if one or both of them aren't jumperless.

Let us know what you do and how it works out for you. We like to know.

Thanks

Edited by magusbuckley, 08 July 2005 - 03:57 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
if you put 2 drives in the machine you have to change jumper settings
1 to be master with slave the other to be slave.