Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drives have disappeared from My Compute

• Please log in to reply

tes214

tes214

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It seems my CD ROM Drives are no longer showing up in my Computer. I have a DVD Drive and a writeable CD Drive that are no longer there. I am not sure what has changed. I moved and it seems they worked fine prior to my moving (can't remember when I used them last, but it wasn't too long ago, prior to moving) but the cable guy also worked on my computer for my cable modem access (and I wasn't there) so I am not sure if he installed anything. I did see the message about removing upper and lower filters in the registry but to be honest, I am not exactly sure what to remove and what not to remove.

I have an emachines with Windows XP Home Edition. The drives show up in Device Manager under DVD/CD-ROM Drives but not under Disk Drives, and they do not appear at all in Explorer. Oddly enough, I can also no longer connect my digital camera and retrieve pictures from it. Can you help me?

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
make sure you have power in your CD/DVD drive, see if you can open them by pressing the button on the drives.
they could be installed but not operational.

open then casing on your PC and make sure both data and power cables are plugged in properly. they might have become disconnected while moving.

tes214

tes214

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for posting. Yes, I have power. I can open both drives. I was able to download my pics - moved my camera to a different USB port.

When I open My Computer, there is only Drive C under Hard Disk Drives,
Under Devices with Removable Storage, I have;
3 1/2" Floppy a:
MMC/SD d:
CompactFlashI/II e:
SmartMedia f:
Memory Stick g:

I am not sure what d: - g: are referencing. I know I don't have a memory stick and don't know where the others came from. Neither of my CDROM drives show there. Any ideas?