Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD ROM and CDRW Drive have disappeared

• Please log in to reply

maggiemcmahon

maggiemcmahon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi guys!
Hope someone can help with this as I have no idea what's happened. <_<

Only information I have is that I have an e-machines computer with original 16x DVD ROM drive. I later installed a BENQ 52x24x52 CDRW drive and everything worked fine.

All of a sudden the driver icons disappeared from my computer. I've looked under device manager and they don't appear. They are still working cause when I put a cd or dvd in them, they start to run as i can hear the whirring noise and the lights flash to say its running but the cd or dvd doesnt start playing or isn't recognised by the computer.

Hope someone can help, please! :D

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Have you tried to download new drivers yet? Did this start happening just after you installed service pack 2? I bet you need new updated drivers. Try installing the original ones first if you have the disk, or maybe off the windows xp disk. <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

maggiemcmahon

maggiemcmahon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Fancy meeting you here <_<

It happened before I made any changes at all. I thought it was because of the all the viruses.
This may be a really stupid question but: How do I download new drivers because I don't have the disks anymore.

Maggie

Have you tried to download new drivers yet?  Did this start happening just after you installed service pack 2?  I bet you need new updated drivers.  Try installing the original ones first if you have the disk, or maybe off the windows xp disk. :D

-=jonnyrotten=-

View Post

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Try checking here

Http://www.driverguide.com

click "member login" at the top left of the page and use

Login: driver2
Password: all

You can search for and download new drivers for free. You will probably have to know at least which brand cdrom's you have in order to download the correct drivers.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<