Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Updating Windows

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
How should I go about updating windows? I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition and it is 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600 on a Compaq Presario 061. What do I need to do to update my system and optimize it's performance?

Any help is appreciated because since I cleansed my computer of all the malware (I think) and installed all kinds of prevention and removal programs my computer sometimes slows down. It said something about increasing virtual memory because I didn't have enough or something. Thanks!

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean by update? windows update? if that is the case open IE and click on tools. you will see a button for windows update. if you mean get a better operating system that XP home then you have to buy xp pro update disks

To change the size of the virtual memory paging file
Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then select Properties.
On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and under Virtual memory, click Change.
In the Drive list, click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
Under Paging file size for selected drive, type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial Size (MB) or Maximum Size (MB) box, and then click Set.
If you decrease the size of either the minimum or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases generally do not require a restart.

to open the computer management right click on my computer and select management

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Get tune up utilities and use it. TuneUp Utilities optimizes the performance of your computer, solves problems and helps you to
customize your system to suit your needs.

Hope it will correct your problem.