Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Shutdown - PSU problem?

• Please log in to reply

Jamie721

Jamie721

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I had posted here a few days ago reguarding a random shutdown issue, I had been advised that it is could be one of the three following problems, a PSU error, a RAM error or a dust issue. I had ruled out dust, because my computer is now cleaner than it has been in months, and ruled out ram, because although I put new ram in it, it's been there for over 6 months, one might think something would happen before now.

This leaves me with the power supply..

My computer is an IBM Netvista running windows XP, it has a 1.8 ghz Pentium 4 processor, an 80 gig hard drive and two sticks of DDR SDRAM, the original stick being 126 and the purchased one being a 256. I have a CD-RW optical drive and use all four of my USB ports (keyboard, mouse, printer, mp3 player hookup). My power supply puts out a total wattage of 185watts.

I also leave my computer on for many weeks at a time, although it goes into standby after 30 minutes of inactivity. My computer has shutdown once already while i've been trying to write this, prompting me to start over.. I thought it was fixed when it didnt shutdown for two days straight, but today alone it has shut down three times. As you would notice from that, it's very irregular in its timing..

Is my random shutdown linked to an overworked power supply? if so, what would you guy's suggest i replace it with? if not, what else might it be?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try removing all devices except your memory video card and primary hard drive and see if it stays running...also you may try a malware/spyware scan. if you only have a 185 watt psu with all that stuff running you may want to shoot for something higher. like say...350 - 450 watts