Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to change desktop background

• Please log in to reply

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
As A matter of interest how do you become a admin/helper? :tazz: I was wondering if there was any training etc or is it a matter of learning as you go.

Advertisements

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
You start by being interested.

Then you motivate yourself to learn twice as much as you ever thought you'd be able to remember.

You picture a future of helping people and spending many many hours online helping and learning.

Then, you join a university like Geeks.

Find more info here.

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks for the Info

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Did it work with turning off the splash?

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Did it work with turning off the splash?

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
It appears to be OK. I,m now cleaning up the system with reg mech and norton windows reg repair etc.

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
On boot up If I use change the way users log on or off, and tick the Welcome screen, when I next boot I get a box with the administrator in the top and a password box at the bottom. Now if I don,t click the ok bow quick enough I get windows is starting up and it all locks up. I go into safe mode and untick the Welcome screen. Reboot and I then remove the admin name type my own with password (just hit enter as there is no password) the system boots ok. I,m the only user of this machine, I,m the administrator as well. I have forgotten the admin password. It would appear that the machine is taking longer to boot now. Before the mail problem my machine used to boot to my desktop without entering any account name or password. When it boots to my desktop after loading my settings the icons seem to draw one at a time ish. I can,t find anything with all the testing apps still I'll keep looking, i'ts the only way to learn.

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Do be carefull about working in the Registry.
If that get's corrupt, you'll have more problems that you have now.

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Can you try this:* Start the Power Options Control Panel appleto Start
o Control Panel
o Power Options
* Select the Advanced tab.
* Uncheck the Prompt for password when computer goes off standby check box.
* Click OK.
[/list]

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I have tried this and it didn,t appear to make any difference I'm Going to try the next solution a bit later on. I'll let you know the outcome. I think I'll have to read the instructions a few times to make sure I know what I'm doing

Advertisements

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I haven't yet tried the fix, I,m wondering if I might have given you a false trail. At logon I get a box with the administrator in the top and a password box under. If I type a password that I think it is I get unable to log you on because of an account restriction. Is this because I'm typing the wrong password? If so I'll carry on with the fix you suggested.

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
You can find more information here. Be sure to read the FAQ first.

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
After running the Password and reg editor I get the error message Can;t access tty. From the FAQs it's from the shell whatever that means, and nothing to do with password edit. I'll continue to try to find my Admin password . When I boot with use welcome screen unchecked, I always boot to the box with admin in the top and password box underneath. I the retype my username and password the system boots and loads my settings ok. Is it possible to boot to my username instead of the Administrator. :tazz: