Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple, identical partitions

• Please log in to reply

darqblue42

darqblue42

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi,

I recently reformatted my hard drive and wisely did NOT use the maximum possible space available (~60 GB) for my XP installation, leaving more room for other partitions.

Being that I had to reformat because I was sick of spyware/viruses, I would like to install another (2nd) partition of XP on some of the remaining, unused space on my hard drive, for backup.

My problem/question: is it possible, once I have a fresh install of a second XP (partition #2), to transfer my files from my first partition (the one I've been using since my reformat) to the new (2nd) partition? Basically, I want a mirror copy of my first partition as a backup.

THANKS for your help!!! :tazz:

P.S.: I'm running an almost brand-new (<7 months old) laptop with a single 60 GB hard drive, if that matters.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You will need Symantec Ghost or Acronis Disk image to do what you are wanting..

Murray

darqblue42

darqblue42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hmmm...

I've been thinking, and I may have posted a request for more than a I want.

I don't want an exact mirror (as I may have mentioned), but just what would act like another "drive".

If I make a 2nd partition, can I use that partition to store files and such? (Would I see it as just another drive, like "C:"?)

Thanks again!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what you should do is partition out about 10 gigs or so for the OS and then the rest for files and apps. you would have a C: and a D: (or the next available drive) that way if you get infected with a bunch of malware then all you have to do is format the OS partition and not lose your data. the only issue is that you absolutely have to stick to this scheme..you cant just be lazy and install or save stuff to c: because you dont feel like changing the letter

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 01:14 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also.....windows doesnt like seeing another copy of the same OS on the same system....it will not do good things

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You can store anything you want in the second partition.. But, all it would be available for is saving your own documents, pics, etc.. Programs couldn't be saved (unless it was the setup file) as installation places files in different areas of XP and those you wouldn't have..

Murray

darqblue42

darqblue42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
So are you guys saying I could have one partition for XP and programs I USE and another partition for documents/music/etc and setup files of not-yet-installed programs?

What is the most common/effective/secure partitioning scheme?

Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not sure what you mean...but just have the one set up with a reasonable amount of space (at the very least 3 gigs for xp, it would run slow as all get out)for your os and the rest just partitioned off....

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 01:16 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It is unlimited..

For awhile, I was installing everything on a second partition and saving all my downloaded files, etc, personal documents, pics, etc on a third partition..

Then, just bought a second hdd and moved everything I wanted to save.. My Documents, Favorites, Downloads, etc to that hdd instead and put my main drive back into a single partition..

Murray

darqblue42

darqblue42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
OK, I've managed to create a new partition and I can see the new "drive" in My Computer.

But when I formatted it, XP was installed immediately afterward...which took up ~2.5 GB in the new partition. I don't want XP on the new partition; I want it for storage/backup, not for an OS.

Is there any way to simply make a partition for storage without having to install XP on it also?

After I press "c" and a new partition is created ("New[Raw]" or something like that), do I just stop there without formatting it?

Thanks for your patience.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Now you go into Disk Management in Control Panel>Administrative Tools..

Right click on the partition and select "format"..

Murray