Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's called Windows File Protection. You can disable it temporarily if you need to.

See here: http://www.pctools.c...try/detail/790/

Alternatively, you could try booting the Recovery Console from your XP CD if you have one and rename tcpip.sys in

C:\WINDOWS\system32 and C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

they are the only two that matter as far as I can tell.

Another possibility for renaming would be to download EBCD, create the bootable CD and boot it then use it's file manager to rename the files outside the XP environment.

Advertisements

gorecki

gorecki

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yes, I am having the same problem. tcpip.sys seems to automatically replicate itself. I never get the message Artist3D mentions about Windows saying it needs to repair itself.

I hope someone knows how to work around this, as I am having the Windows installation disk sent from Canada to Japan so I can try to sort this out (I've been without internet at home for 4 months because of this problem)!

--Stranded in Saitama!

atart

atart

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was getting this same error and it just started. The cause of the problem in my case ended up being a bad riser card and a bad NIC. Replaced the riser card and NIC and now I am able to connect to the Internet once again.

Blue Sea

Blue Sea

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys.
I got the same error, but I found tcpip.sys there, however, I found many WinXP Home's *.exe files lost. Besides, every WinXP boot got a display before the login prompting "Regrun Partisan - Rootkit Killer loading. Network is connected but no Internet page can be opened.
Can anyone help?
Blue Sea

Artist3d

Artist3d

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am glad it worked for so many and you are all very welcome. Not sure why the file would replicate on its own, but hope the new one worked.

mattymat2180

mattymat2180

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Simple solution. I'm going to assume that you were using a version of AVG and uninstalled it. Under you local area network connections properties you will have to simply uninstall the "QoS packet Scheduler" and any connection that says "AVG" in it. After you do this simply repair your local area network connection and you should be able to get back on the internet. This is how I fixed it.

gumpworsely

gumpworsely

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Keep getting "failed to query tcp/ip settings of the connection" I have reinstalled xp home and have nothing else on the pc. I know for sure that i have a internet connection as my other pc works just fine and when i plug the cable into the back of the non working pc it lights up but i just keep getting "failed to query tcp/ip settings of the connection". How can i be getting this problem from a fresh install? And how do i solve this?

Thanks

dark_4444

dark_4444

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My respects to "ARTIST3D"
It was fine.

Many greetings from Athens Greece

thomaswinn

thomaswinn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I receive this error ""failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection" whenever I try to repair my network connection and have tried netsh to repair IP and Winsock but it didn't help. I've removed the network card and reinstalled it but haven't gotten anywhere. It shows me as connected but there is no IP address assigned.

Please help!

Download WinSockFix, Run and reboot.
Your problem could be fixed! :)

Thomas

Edited by thomaswinn, 27 December 2008 - 04:55 AM.

Squilk

Squilk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok i tried artists style and i didnt get the message that windows has a problem.... it just didnt do anything...... any advice?

Advertisements

l0ckey

l0ckey

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I had the same message after running a bunch of virus checkers and deleting everything they found.. AVG, SuperAntiSpyware & AVS.
"failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection" suddenly became an issue after a reboot from running AVG a final time in Safe Mode.

Finally I did a file search for tcpip.sys and renamed every instance to "tcpip.sys_old" - essentially disabling it... Windows XP message came up immediately saying it needed to repair itself but I waited and proceeded to rename all instances of tcpip.sys found and then followed the instruction window and inserted my Windows XP disk and let it have its way with my computer... rebooted and wow! CONNECTION RE-ESTABLISHED all on its own. That is all I did.. no expert believe me, I have no clue why it worked, just used my imagination. ;-)

Hope it helps someone.

I believe this will fix mine as well but i dont have my xp disk
is there any thing els i can do?

Diecer

Diecer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help. I'm attempting Artist's method, but I have a version of XP that doesn't let me edit the extension of tcpip.sys. It simply shows up as tcpip with no .sys extension. Any suggestions? This did happen after I canceled an avg scan too. Please help. I have no Internet connection and have to look this up with my iPhone.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Diecer,

While your symptoms are the same your issue may be different please start a new thread.

Diecer

Diecer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I ended up just doing a recovery and that fixed it.

gjs5p

gjs5p

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay I have this problem too... But I'm not too sure if its exactly the same problem as the original poster. And I still haven't found a solution yet!

This came about because my computer had in the last 2 weeks starting doing this funny thing of screen blacking out for seconds and then coming back on again whenever I was using the PC. Few days ago, I decided to uninstall Avira as I thought *that* might be causing the black screen problem. But after doing so, the screen black-out episodes became even more frequent and severe. After a few hours, the screen blacked out and never came back on again. The computer seemed to have stalled - no sound of activity from it, although the "On/Off" light was still green/On, but the monitor had gone on standby. I rebooted the PC, but it could never boot up Windows again. I got this blue screen of death message every time I tried to boot up Windows XP. It says there's something wrong with a file called "nav4_disp" and that there's a problem with an "infinite loop"... I tried rebooting several times, each time same thing happened - blue screen with the same message about the file nav4_disp and a problem with an infinite loop.

With Windows XP refusing to boot up at all, I decided to boot up my PC with a Ubuntu 9.04 CD ROM which I'd NEVER tried using prior to this. It worked. I didn't install Ubuntu, I just used the "Try Ubuntu without installing it" option every time I booted my PC with the CD ROM. It'd go into Ubuntu's desktop. and I'd click on Mozilla Firefox and voila, without even needing to do any sort of setting up, everything works. I am now using this method to get online and try to find solutions to my Windows XP problem as we speak! So up till now, I can surf on the internet with the Ubuntu CD ROM.

Yesterday I decided to back up all the important files on my PC, and decided to format the hard drive and re-install Windows XP. I did everything right, and Windows XP was installed. Everything looked good. Until I clicked on Internet Explorer to try and see if I could surf the Net on it. I couldn't. It'd load up the error message on screen saying DNS Error, problem with server/connection. Every single time. Its so exasperating! I tried the "cmd" > "ipconfig" method but it'd fail to give me an ip address every time. I tried clicking on the Networking icon and clicking on the "1394 Ethernet" connection and then using the "Repair" option. It wouldn't work. Instead, it gave me this error message "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection." each time!

Now I know some people have suggested that perhaps something in my hardware needs replacing. Something is wrong with my PC, my cables, etc.
This can't be the case, because even as I speak, Ubuntu works fine on my PC and I can surf the internet on my VirginMedia Broadband connection with Mozilla Firefox on Ubuntu just fine!

I think there must be a problem with my Windows XP... but I'm not "techie" enough to figure this out! I feel like installing Ubuntu on my system and using it permanently but I know I can't live without Windows because some applications like the Sony MP3 sync software will not work on Ubuntu. Can anyone help me fix my Windows XP internet connection??

P.S. I've also posted a copy of this reply on a new thread, because I wonder if this thread might be "dead" seeing that the last reply was way back last April...

Edited by gjs5p, 08 January 2010 - 06:13 PM.