Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: gjs5p

Please start your own topic as this one is almost a year old.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Advertisements

gjs5p

gjs5p

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi, yes. have posted a copy of my previous message onto a completely new thread with a different topic header "Internet connection works in Ubuntu but not in Windows XP Home SP1!" sorry for any inconvenience caused...

gigiloc

gigiloc

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Simple solution. I'm going to assume that you were using a version of AVG and uninstalled it. Under you local area network connections properties you will have to simply uninstall the "QoS packet Scheduler" and any connection that says "AVG" in it. After you do this simply repair your local area network connection and you should be able to get back on the internet. This is how I fixed it.

This worked for me. I just uninstalled something called an "AVG file filter" that installed with AVG. As soon as I uninstalled it, I was up on the internet.

Thanks So Much!

Brian H

Brian H

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Clean XP Home install, but can't get ipconfig or any linkage to the internet or other computers (2) sharing a router. Get the "failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection" error. There is no problem with the indicators on the router or modem. I am about to try the renaming solution.
Didn't work. The file recreated itself, all 350KB of it. There was no message or opportunity to intervene. Only one instance of the file, in System32.

jellon

jellon

• Pip
  • 1 posts

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

and service pack 2

Hello New here just wanted to comment on this!
I had this issue this is how I fixed it.

Restarted in safe mode with command prompt

then typed
netsh
int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

exit
shutdown -r

this last bit reboots the system

then all was ok!

Jellon

Brian H

Brian H

• Pip
  • 3 posts
jellon's solution, above, is as described in MS KB 299357, which also references #314067 and #811259.

Haven't had a chance to try it on the problem computer yet.

CNard

CNard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem with my Dell desktop. Due to a virus I had to format my drive and reinstall Windows XP. Windows installed OK but then I ended up with the "Failed To Query TCP/IP error" when I tried to get online. I resolved this problem by going onto the Dell download site and entering my Tag number from my computer. I then downloaded 3 network files and reinstalled them. As soon as the install was complete it picked up on my network card and is working fine. So for you Dell guys and gals this may fix your problem. For all others try updating your network card drivers and see what happens.

Scott005

Scott005

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I will try to do what you suggested, but do I need to reinstall the operating system or just reboot like someone else said? Scott

cantorhome

cantorhome

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found an alternate solution that might be a quicker fix in some instances. First I tried the solution above that seemed to work for everyone else, but after renaming the tcpip.sys files, no Windows message popped up offering to fix them, so I replaced each one of the files manually by copying the tcpip.sys files from a different PC. That didn't work either. So here's the quicker fix that worked for me...

I just uninstalled my ethernet card (from the device manager), and then ran through the "add hardware" wizard from the control panel to reinstall the ethernet card. Zammo, success. It connected to the internet right away. Good luck.

itdontmatter

itdontmatter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have searched for it a found a file name tcpip but it didnt have a .sys on it so i renamed it tcpip.sys_old nothing happen so i restarted away and then there was to file tcpip again and the one i rename how do i fix it

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hello ItDontMatter :welcome:

Can you tell me if you have your original Xp Disk?

Can you please let us know the exact issue that you are having with your computer.

What is the exact make and model of your machine?

Have you tried a system restore to a point prior to your issue?

If you are unable to resolve the issue using system restore then please see below.

Please download FarbarServiceScanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update

Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please Attach the log to your reply.

Download MINITOOLBOX Checkmark following boxes:

Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and Attach the result.

Edited by rockmilk, 11 July 2012 - 06:26 PM.