Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for a messenger program

• Please log in to reply

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I am looking for a messenger program that supports the MSN network. I have tried Trillian, Miranda IM and... MSN Messenger. I hate MSN messenger because you cant change the screen names of friends into their real names. If anybody knows a program that I havent used before yet, please post it right here.

Thanks in advance,

Emery

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
If changing your friends' display names into their actual names is all you want to do, try out Messenger Plus instead, a freeware program that adds a ton of exciting cool features to the original MSN Messenger software for you to tweak it to your liking.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
If you go down the mesenger plus route, make sure you install it without the sponsor program or you will give yourself LOP.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Yes , I would say Messenger Plus Is that the one where You get sounds

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Mercury Messenger does support MSN network but MSN messenger along with the MSN plus is so much better. And yes, install it without the sponser program as usetobe said because it will just get you LOP infection..
I used Mercury for a while but it had couple bugs I didn't like so just went back to MSN

- Rawe :tazz:

S A A B

S A A B

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Thanks for the comments. I will take a look at the messenger plus. Another thing I don't really need is the nice graphs and smiles of MSN messenger... so if someone knows another program that isn't nice looking or a memory hog, please post it down here.

Emery

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
The Best ones are usualy ports from linux versions.
I use aMSN: http://amsn.sourceforge.net/
But Gaim is also really good: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Gaim supports ALL of the major protocols including yahoo.
Gaim should also use less of your computer resources, but aMSN is more plain like.

-Zac

Edited by ratmilk, 09 July 2005 - 04:30 AM.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

If you go down the mesenger plus route, make sure you install it without the sponsor program or you will give yourself LOP.

Uh, yeah. That too. ;) Messenger Plus, for all its great features, actually comes with bundled adware. Thing is, they actually give you a choice not to install the sponsored malware so do make sure you choose the correct option.

Another thing I don't really need is the nice graphs and smiles of MSN messenger... so if someone knows another program that isn't nice looking or a memory hog, please post it down here.

Okay, I can understand the memory hog thing, but now why wouldn't you want a nice-looking interface? o_o I myself have only ever used a single IM software before, and that's MSN Messenger, and even then it is only 'cos it is what all my other friends use, and recommend. I don't tweak it much - I just download a patch for it to enable polygamy, remove the advertisements and search bar and such, then disable tabs for a more simple layout. I don't think that's what you are looking for though, but in any case, if you are looking for add-ons to MSN Messenger to customize it more to your liking, try this website. I don't know much about alternative instant-messaging programs, unfortunately, so that's all the suggestions I can offer. :tazz:

S A A B

S A A B

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Thanks cassykins, I installed all your recommendations on my sisters laptop for her MSN mesenger.

I downloaded ratmilks reccomendation of Gaim, which I am currently using on my desktop.

Thanks again for all replies!

Emery