Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Repeatable Freeze-up

• Please log in to reply

evilD

evilD

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This problem is repeatable. When I click on the start button and the menu scrolls up I cannot move the pointer out of the menu area or there is a complete freeze up. The only way to avoid the freeze is by clicking on start, or opening something from the menu. The computer was built by someone, (as opposed to an off the shelf system). This problem has occured since day one. I don't know very much about computers and need help. ANY help is greatly appreciated. (O.T. Is this a very good gaming system?)

ABIT A17, Radeon 9800pro, 2x512mb Corsair Twinx, Sony DRU 710A DVD R/RW, Memorex 52x 32x 52x 16x DVD ROM. Seagate Serial ATA internal 7200rpm Hard Drive,
Enermax model EG425p-VE power supply.

Edited by evilD, 08 July 2005 - 04:01 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
note the time

repeat error

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.[/code]

evilD

evilD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did what you said. problems: The date says 10/17/2016. The time says 1:28pm (it's 4:00pm)

Edited by evilD, 08 July 2005 - 05:06 PM.

evilD

evilD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
there were a few lines with the redx. In the System folder:
TYPE: error
DATE: 10/17/2017
TIME: 1:28pm
SOURCE: DCOM
CATAGORY: none
EVENT: 10005
USER: System
COMPUTER: G6K5V5

In the Application folder:
TYPE: error
DATE: 10/17/2016
TIME: 1:29.57pm
SOURCE: crypt32
CATAGORY: none
EVENT: 11
USER: n/a
COMPUTER: G6K5V5

Edited by evilD, 08 July 2005 - 05:15 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, not really related.

OK...right click the start menu, choose PROPERTIES, choose CLASSIC START MENU.....click OK

Problem repeat with this one?

evilD

evilD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry took so long.

Still a problem. Although I did find that it freezes only when moving the mouse to desktop. If there is another window open and I move the mouse off the start menu onto the open window there is no problem. It only freezes when the mouse touches the desktop. I've changed desktops many times and that does not cure the problem.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Just to rule out the simple...do you have another mouse you could swap out temporarily, and see if that makes any difference?

Johanna

evilD

evilD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just swapped it out. Still freezes. I also just had a crash to restart in the middle of Battlefield Vietnam