Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It's ALIVE!

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I just finished installing my system, after many problems with cables, and what not, and 1 new Ultra Xconnect PSU later (Which is amazing), I finnally connected everything and fed power to my beautiful system... Everything lit up, all the fans turned on, and I felt a sense of great achievement over overcoming the difficulties and building my first computer.

Now, As soon as I turned it on, I think it was the mobo, anyway it started beeping. Like once every three seconds, a long 2 second or so beep. Why is it doing this?

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
turn it off ,unplug the power cord and check the manual for the CMOS jumper...clear it.. set to 2&3 for about 30 seconds and replace to 1&2 plug it up and see if it will POST

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I have no idea what you just said.

What is a CMOS jumper? Which manual? Set what to 2&3?

Sorry, I need to be walked thorugh this...

It isn't beeping becuase frying or being damaged in any way is it?

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Do you have a motherboard manual?

The easy way!!!

Unplug the computer from the wall...

next

Look on the motherboard for a battery (lloks like a big watch battery)

pull back on the tention clip and the battery will pop out....leave it out for 30 seconds or so..

replace the battery (flat side up) ...

plug the computer back into the AC outlet and hit the power button....

See if it will Power On Self Test (POST)

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Nope, it's still beeping after that.

I swear, I'm never building another of these ever again. Just when I get my hopes up that I finnally got it complete, it screws me again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Read your mobo manual and find out what that particular beep code means. Dont worry we will get you sorted.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

The beep you are hearing is indead coming from the Motherboard. When you turn on your computer system, it runs through a startup process known as the boot process. The boot process is actually a series of smaller tasks that your computer must perform before you, the operator, can take control of the Operating System. The first part of the boot process is known as POST (Power On Self Test). In this phase of the boot process, the Motherboard sends a signal out to the various hardware components within your system and checks for errors. If an error occurs, a series of beeps will sound. What kind of beep and how many of them you here is determined by the problem at hand.

Imagine this: Your computer, during the POST section of the boot process, determines there is a hardware problem inside your computer case. It sounds a beep to let you know about the problem. Now, what in the world does this beep mean? It simply means you have a problem inside the case. Oh no, where do you start looking to resolve this issue? Well, your guess would be as good as mine.

To combat this issue, Motherboard Manufacturers have, for as long as I can remember, given the Motherboards different beeps for different types of errors. A single beep, as you are receiving, usually means you are having trouble with your systems memory. If I were you, I would make sure your RAM modules are properly seated in their slots on the Motherboard. This, however, may not be the case. The beeps generated for errors vary from one Motherboar Manufaturer to another. Check the users manual for the Motherboard (probably under a "Help" section of some sort) to find a list of beeps your Motherboard can produce and what those beeps mean.

You shouldn't become discouraged about building a PC after a little mishap like this. You probably didn't ride your first bike without crashing, did ya? You have done very very well for yourself having come this far. I congratulate you on building your first computer system.

I hope I've helped you understand why and where these beeps are coming from.

Let us know what happens with your little project. If you need more help, well we're here for ya buddy.... :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If it is the ram run memtest.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

If it is the ram run memtest.

View Post

;)

How is he going to run memtest if he cant get it to post :tazz:

Read thru this Metal http://www.geekstogo...ms_-t28727.html

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I called Altex (An AWESOME place might I add) and their free tech support guy told me right off the bat that it was a memory, processor, or video card problem, we ran through and found out it was the way I installed the memory. I put the second stick right next to the first, which is wrong on this mobo. Reinstalled the RAM, boom, I'm in the BIOS!

Now let's see what other little problem I run into...

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Oops, I was setting up the BIOS and I wanted to save what I had done, so I quit and saved, but I wasn't done setting it up, I just wanted to save my work. Now it just tells me:

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

How do I get back into the BIOS? I'm using Pheonix - Award BIOS by the way.

EDIT: NVM, I just had to reboot and press delete

Edited by Metalive, 09 July 2005 - 12:56 PM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Update please!!! :tazz: