Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only able to boot in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

nicecara

nicecara

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm using another computer to email you. Help...my computer will only boot in safe mode but then my desktop stuff isn't there ....just a few basic icons..ie. My Documents, My Computer, IE but nothing works ....I can access my stuff by going thru the c drive in My Computer....but my start button doesn't work...nothing happens when I click it ....also I can't get online...it says my address book is missing(what ever the heck that means)when I click "connect". Help me...I'm scared :tazz: I've tried to search for answers in Windows help but everything says to click start and then yada yada....but I "can't" my start does nothing. help me please ;)

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Any idea how and what triggered this?

What happens when you try to boot to normal mode?

Do you have a Windows CD ?

Regards,

nicecara

nicecara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Metallica...thanks for getting back with me. Actually...the problem computer is my friends computer...I just said it was mine in the first post to avoid confusion. She has no access to internet with her computer down right now. I went down to look at it for her and I managed to at least find her files by clicking on "My Computer" on the desktop and then going thru the c folder so she was a little relieved. Unfortunately she left for a week long vacation this morning so I don't have as much info without her as you may need. I guess we should pick up on this when she returns next week so I don't waste your time.

As to answer your questions...she said the only thing she could think of that was different when this started was that it was after a storm and wondered if it had been struck by lightning. She just turned it on as usual and it booted into safe mode (something she never heard of). I went down and we shut it off holding the button in because the start button does nothing when you click on it. I let it start up and tapped f8 and moved it to normal mode but then we just got a black screen with a flashing white underscore line blinking in left upper corner. After turning off and on a few times...it just goes to safe mode no matter what and it's not her desktop that comes up...just a generic (all user) type.

She has Windows ME with a celeron but that's about all I know for now. Oh...and yes she has a windows cd.

If you have a suggestion let me know or if you want to wait until she returns next week let me know that also. Thanks!

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I'll wait till you can work on that computer.
You can download these programs on a floppy (or memory stick) since we will very likely need them.

WinsockFix:
http://www.geekstogo...=download&id=21

HijackThis:
http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=3

Process explorer:
Process Explorer http://www.sysintern...ssExplorer.html

What I will need is a HijackThis log and I'd like to know if she has any Usable System Restore Points:
http://www.windowsre...tem_restore.htm

Regards,

nicecara

nicecara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
OK...Metallica, my friend is back from vacation and I have the above on floppy.

I'm not sure how to check restore "points"....although I do believe I can get to that location while in her safe mode. I don't think she has ever used system restore.

Is it ok to go ahead and try to save these 3 downloaded programs on her hard drive with "the floppy" while in safe mode? If I remember correctly...I should create a new folder in C drive and name it HJT for logs?

Sorry...I'm so computer dumb...I just know a little more than she does but mostly because you guys helped me get rid of a Virus, Trogan Horse, Bloodhound and HJ'd brqwser on my laptop earlier this year.

Thanks sooo much!!
Cara

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
You can move the programs her HD.
For the first step (getting a HijackThis log) this isn't absolutely necessary.

If you follow the link I posted for Restore Points, you will find how that works in Windows ME.

Regards,

nicecara

nicecara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Oh for pete's sake...Metallica....now we can't find system tools...as you know, we can't use the start button so I just click on My Computer/c drive/program files/accessories but then system tools is not there. ;) Sooo... we can't get to system restore. We have tried snooping around in a few folders but no luck.

On my own XP computer the route in different ie. My Computer/c drive/documents and settings/start menu/accessories/system tools.....so any idea where or how we might find system tools on her ME computer? She doesn't have a "documents and settings" folder under her c drive folder. :tazz:

Cara

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
The path to the file should be C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\rstrui.exe

Doubleclick that file and System Restore should report if it is running or not.
If it is you should also be able to continue as shown on the link I gave you.

Regards,

nicecara

nicecara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok....followed path to Restore but "Restore folder" won't open.

Just get a window that says...your security setting prohibits running active x controls on this page.

As a side note, under tools/folder options, we are unable to change setting to "show hidden files" which I thought was a little strange.

She did remember today that when all of this started....several weeks ago, a blue window opened and said something about it detected that she had new hardware (which she didn't) problem. :tazz:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
It sounds as if she is not the Administrator of that computer (or does no longer have the appropriate rights for an administrator)

If this is due to a unjust driver install, I'd try to find:
C:\windows\options\cabs\setup.exe

Doubleclicking that file will initiate a new install of Windows without destroying any files.

Regards,

Advertisements

nicecara

nicecara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for getting back so promptly Pieter. Is there any reason she wouldn't have administrator rights since it is her own computer that she purchased new herself and she has never had her user account set with a password or separate from other users (there "are" no other users) I'm just a little confused....since this is the case, do you still want her to find the setup.exe folder and re-install?

Now my daughter's computer is not working, I will start a new topic if you could help me with it. I brought her laptop home with me last night.

Here is the link to the topic on her laptop.
http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=48454

Thanks,
Cara

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Cara,

My fear is that something (by accident or on purpose) removed the rights.
I know of no other way to get Windows ME back working without those rights then to use the setup.exe

When that runs you can create all the accounts you need etc.

I'll see if I have some time left for your other topic after I have sifted through my mail

Regards,

nicecara

nicecara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok Pieter...I see what you mean...

Well, we followed c\windows\options\cabs\ but then setup.exe isn't in there :tazz: There is "install" and a couple other things. Any other place that might be?

Thanks,
Cara

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Also no setup without the exe?

Maybe the extensions are not showing or it could be inside the install folder
C:\windows\options\install\setup.exe

Regards,

nicecara

nicecara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
No unfortunately not. The cabs folder has 3 folders..... install, ols and oobe but nothing has "setup" in it with or without exe. Also checked c\windows\install and that install forlder is empty. Any other ideas?

Edited by nicecara, 28 July 2005 - 10:07 AM.