Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gaming machine

• Please log in to reply

seanshaffer23

seanshaffer23

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
anyone out there have a gaming rig that didnt cost TOO much :tazz:
im looking at anywhere from $1 (i wish!) up to $2500. plz post a list of ur components!! i need EVERY detail cuz ive only done this once before. thanks!

Advertisements

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
With that price range I would go with:

An AMD 64 3800+

DFI mobo:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813136151

OCZ 512x2 kit RAM:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820146890

Geforce 6800GT, wether you want to get a second for SLI is up to you.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130215

Western Digital 160 gig SATA HDD:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144178

As for the case, I would go with something like Antec or Thermaltake. A power supply of over 500w as well.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Mines was 950 quid or 1600dollars converted and it has breezed through every game ive got.
AMD 3200+ athlon 64 venice
1gb corsair xms pc3200c2pt
MSI K8N nf4 ultra platinum mobo
connect3d x800xl gfx card
Antec super lanboy case
Hiper 480W silver PSU.
And a lovely sasung syncmaster 913N
and some 5.1 speakers i have.

Egorn

Egorn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
£728.00 for the following;

AMD (Venice) Athlon 64 3500 Processor £180.00
1024 MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM £55.00
200GB Western digital H/D £59.00
256MB Nvidia Geforce 6800GT £199.00
LG 16x DVD ROM £15.00
LG 16x DVD RW £31.00
Abit AV8 3rd Eye Motherboard £69.00
Labtec 2.1 Sub & Spkrs £25.00
Thermaltake VA3000 Tsunami Case £75.00
Q-Tec 550W Twin Fan PSU £20.00

I already had another 1024MB RAM and 24bit sound card , and Monitor from my Pentium4, but apart from these bits I got this spec for only £728.00, including VAT!!! I think its a pretty awsome spec for that money, cant see you getting that spec for any cheaper; if anyone can I would love to know. :tazz:

Best place to shop is ebuyer and overclockers (got my graphics card for £199.00!!! Its now £215.00 again!)

Let me know how you get on!!

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
4000+ Clawhammer
1024mb Corsair XMS Twin3200C
BFG 6600 GTOC
Pioneer DVR 109
Gigabyte G Power Cooler Pro
Tt Tsunami Dream
Tt 480w
Abit AV8 3rd Eye
Logitech X230 Sound

AU$1700 = £723 = US$1273

Egorn

Egorn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
4000+ clawhammer? what is that?

Sounds like your spec (apart from the clawhammer bit, as I have no idea what that is) was good value!

Couldn't see a hard drive in the price though
What Hard drive have you got?

Alos is Aus a bit more for PC stuff? :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You built a PC with an AMD CPU and you dont know what clawhammer is, someone didnt do enough research. Clawhammer is a core type.
The Q-tec PSUs looked a bit suspicous especially at the price overclockers sells them and the warning about cable length.
You have a bit of a strange rig you have skimpped in some places to get better bits somewhere else, im more of a believer in a balanced system, as from what ive seem they perform more reliably and are easier to upgrade. Take it you went AGP i havent seen that gfx for that price anywhere for that price in pci-e.

Egorn

Egorn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Only been looking at athlon 3000- 3800, so I never noticed the 4000 Clawhammer! I'm not a total geek,

But your saying I skimped in some places? I know the only cheapo thing I got was the PSU, and I didn't realise Q-Tec had a pants reputation until I received it the other week! Will see how it performs over the next few weeks, and if it turns out to be $hit, then it turns out to be $hit. I'll then go and buy the Antec True Blue 480W (£58.00 though, which is a bit OTT)

but what else have I skimped on? and how is my rig a strange rig?

I think the PC is a dam good spec for the money, and its certainly not strange.

What does everyone else think? :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the ram is cheap stuff to match a good cpu like that, which is a really god ocin cpu you would want to get some decent ram to match it, the same goes for the graphics card. The PSU i have i got cheap 52 pounds( thats cheap by the way, for quality ones anyway) I would recomend the hiper mines is great, and matches my lanboy, and came with a free fan, and ide cables, the toolbox it comes in is good to i keep the instructions and extra cables in there. The motherboard isnt the best of the nf4s i woulda went with somethin a bit better(well i did go with something a bit better) as i had the same budget as you near enough when you take out the monitor.

Although its a goos system you have, i was only meaning it was a little off balance: not much , i thought about the q-tec myself for a bit before i found more money . Never skimp on a PSU though, its just askin for your rig to be fried . The antecs are good but they are better value when they come in an antec case. I myself skimped a bit on RAM as well though but its still good, woulda loved ocz or better corsair stuff to get the overclockin mojo goin even more.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Egorn

The Clawhammer is the older 130nm version of the San Diego which has a 90nm core. I think it was an upgraded version of the Newcastle, and comes with 1mb of L2 cache, as opposed to 512kb. It's basically what San Diego is to the Venice.

Hard drive is a left over from previous machine - 80gb Samsung IDE (!!!!). Probably worth putting in a SATA drive. Monitor is a 17" Benq LCD which I also had.

Prices in Aus are a little odd. I got the cpu for a great price (AU$600 - they normally retail for $800 here) so was very fortunate. Other peripherals vary a little. PSU's and cases are expensive. Mid range video cards are not bad (say a 6600GT will set you back AU$300) but it is still very difficult to find a 6800GT (let alone an Ultra) for less than AU$800-1000. We also seem to be about 6 months behind in availability. I've only just started seeing X850's pop up and they are around AU$1000.

Edited by KGH, 14 July 2005 - 05:04 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You guys really get the short end of the hardware stick, you woulda thought since aus is closer to where the cards are manufactured than the US and Europe you would be able to at least get hold of them.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
It's pretty frustrating.

The cheapest Ultra I've found is AU$879 (£375). How does that compare to the UK? High end ATI cards tend to be more expensive here in my experience.

Egorn

Egorn

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
me RAm is cosair DDR400, so it is pretty good, and yes I am thinking of cheing the old osu, but I'll see how the Q-Tec comes alomg! Oz prices suck" $1000 AUSD for a 6800GT, jes!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can pick up an ultra for 300-340 pounds here the nvidia cards are quite expensive here as well, mind you 375 will buy you a 7800GTX here.

aftershok

aftershok

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well, Im looking towars a DELL XPS....

DELL XPS SITE