Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

norton antivirus 2005, shell32.dll

• Please log in to reply

alatariel

alatariel

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i tried nav2005 trialware on my laptop and it was working fine. when the trial lapsed i decided to just use AVG. but when i booted up my pc nav bootscanner run and pc went on loading win98. but a window poped up saying SHELL32.DLL FILE CANNOT START. CHECK THE FILE TO DETERMINE THE PROBLEM. then another window saying CCEVTMGR.EXE PERFORMED ILLEGAL OPERATION. and EXPLORER.EXE PERFORMED ILLEGAL OPERATION. i have no choice but to click ok and close. Windows does not continue to load and just shutsdown. i want to remove the nav2005. and restore my laptop to normal. please help. :tazz:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Put the hard drive in another computer and uninstall Norton from there it should work.

alatariel

alatariel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i can't exactly do that because its an IBM type harddrive and my IDE cable for my desktop doesn't fit the laptop's harddrive. if i reformat my laptop would that work? thanks for replying

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The answer I am afraid will have to be yes that might be the only option. But first can you plug a cable into the back of your computer so you can connect to a net work? One time a few months ago I had a similar thing to you cause by something else and Even though I could not use my computer I could access it form an other computer, maby you could connect it to the computer you are using now. warning don't waist you time doing this it you do not have file and printer sharing on. Before you do format you hard drive download and read the Tweaking Guide on this site (you can download it too) it is very good and has tips for setting up your computer as best as possible (this guide it rather long but worth it in the long run, my computer runs a lot faster after following it). also go to Here to make you computer a sequer as you can. I hope this helps. These guide strongly recommend you getting FireFox and Thunderbird to replace Internet Explorer and Outlook express and so do I. If you have any Questions about theses Guides make a topic in the forums and PM me to tell me where it is.

Final peace of advise is to get Norton Ghost (I install this recently) Having it would have made this hole thing very easy to fix because it makes backups of you hard drive that include all you programs, settings and operation system, and personal documents. The backups then can be used to restore you computer to a known good state no matter what you have got wrong in a matter of minutes (the restoring of a backup deletes every thing on a drive). This is all so a good Just in case you have hard drive failure.

and again Good Luck. (I am not trying to advertise anything, being still in school and having no job this would not help me).

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
thats a lot of complicated advice for someone who just needs help in removing norton.

try this:
http://www.geekstogo...are-t43188.html

it should do the job for you. if you have issues please let us know what they are.

thank,
Starjax

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I think that you have forgoten that the person can't start the computer to do any thing including removeing Norton properly. I am trying to give the person every option that the person might need and making sure that when the person set the computer up it works very well.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Michael, you are not wrong, but I try to exhaust everything before formating and reloading the operating system. I wasn't quite awake this morning and missed the fact that it was the shell that wouldn't load.

well, the other suggestion is to boot from a bootable floppy into dos. navigate to the (c:\windows\system folder I think} to progman.exe. once you know where it is then go to c:\windows and edit the win.ini. replace the shell.exe file with progman.exe. save and reboot laptop. It will look like windows 3.1. at this point you will need to reinstall internet explorer. once its installed you can go back into the win.ini and change the progman.exe back to shell.exe.

I might have missed some syntax here. I don't have a win98 system to check it on... but the proceedures should be close enough here. Its been a while since I've had to do this.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Not many Laptops have floppy drives, I hope there is one in the laptop in question and I hope he has made a bootable floppy. I will later test to see if what you said apears right on a computer with windows 98 that I have acess to.

alatariel

alatariel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi guys. thanks a lot for the advise.

i can't do the network thing because i don't have networking running.

i have floppy drive with the laptop though. i searched for the files starjax said. i didn't find shell.exe but i found the following:
c:\windows\progman.exe
c:\windows\system\shell.dll
c:\windows\system\shell32.dll
c:\windows\win.ini

i saw the win.ini file. i don't know where/how i am supposed to replace shell.exe with progman.exe.

Edited by alatariel, 14 July 2005 - 11:30 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Had a look on a computer with window 98 (it is 15m for where I am sitting) the process should work, the file is there. but in windows 98 there is no .EXE on the end of any name in this file so you should look for shell and rename it progman (starjax ar you shore you mean progman and not program?) hope this help and works other wise you will have to what I said unfortunetly, I hope you don't have to because it would be a lot of work.

Advertisements

alatariel

alatariel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
wait.

what is should do is rename shell.dll with progman.exe?

what do i do with win.ini then?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Open win.ini in this file there is a list of things scrol down till you find shell and rename it. This is was starjax meant when he said edit win.ini

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
just look for progman on your pc. it should be in the windows or the windows\system folders. Progman is the old windows manager from windows 3.1.

alatariel

alatariel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok. i found these parts of the win.ini with the word shell. which should i replace with progman.

NOTSHELL=0x0001
SHELL=0x80000000
[Desktop_Shell]
MS Shell Dlg=MS Sans Serif
MS Shell Dlg 2=MS Sans Serif

sorry if i tend to repeat questions. i really just want to make sure about this.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try looking for explorer instead of shell