Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help plz.

• Please log in to reply

soske

soske

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have an old computer that I want to gut out and buy all new parts for to build an updated machine and I was wondering if anyone could tell me all of the required hardware components needed for my computer to be operational. Thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Do you mean build a new one, or update the old in which case some specs will be needed.

soske

soske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Build a new one. The only thing of the old computer I'm using is the case.

seanshaffer23

seanshaffer23

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
If you're building a new computer, you want to look at a motherboard, a processor, memory (RAM), graphics card, sound card, hard drive, optical drive, and power supply. Your case may already have a power supply but depending on what you put into your rig, you may need a more powerful one. Also, some motherboards come with integrated audio or graphics. You may want to look at a new keyboard and mouse, too. If you're building a high-end computer you're going to need some case fans to keep the unit cooled. A good computer-building guide can be found here.

Edited by seanshaffer23, 10 July 2005 - 06:52 AM.

soske

soske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry for the late reply but I just wanted to thank you for your help.