Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD and DVD-rom not recognized and Blank Screen

• Please log in to reply

aminos

aminos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer hangs at a Blank Screen every time I start up the computer. Also, it will not recognize my CD or DVD-rom drive. I went into BIOS and seleceted auto detect IDE, but computer still doesn't recognize such drives. It recognizes my hard drive, but not the secondary IDE drives. Also, I cannot boot Windows XP from CD-rom even though I seleced CD-rom as the primary boot sequence in BIOS.
Let me explain how I arrived at this frustrating event. My father's computer needed reformatting, so I went to proceed with the simple placing of the Windows XP CD in the CD-rom and restarting. However, it will not boot from CD even though the boot sequence starts with the CD. I cannot put the CD in my DVD-rom drive b/c its messed up and spits it back out. When I am in desktop, though, the CD-rom recognizes the Windows XP CD and asks whether I'd like to install or whatever. So I proceed to install, and find out that the computer is under FAT configuration, so I follow the prompts to convert to NTFS. Once this is done, the installation is completed successfully. However, I have still not been able to reformat the computer, and since I can't boot from CD, I try to once again install Windows, hoping it would take me to the Windows Welcome blue screen as it had done when I converted to NTFS. However, this did not happen, so near the end of the Windows XP installation process, I reset the computer (this was completely stupid but I did it so I may be able to try alternate means of reformatting without further delay). Then I was reading reviews that the CD-rom may have a failure and that why it won't allow me to boot from CD. So I switch it out with another CD-rom that I know is in working condition, but the computer doesn't recognize the DVD or CD drive. I try switching the drives to where CD is master and DVD is slave and computer doesn't recognize, so I switch CD to slave and DVD to master, and still doesn't recognize. So now I'm officially screwed, and out of options. If anyone made it this far in reading my long description, could you please help me get out the hole i'm in?

Advertisements

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
whew lots of issues going on here....

My initial thought was that the drives were not properly allocated (master on IDE 1 slave on IDE 1, master on IDE2 and so forth)

But you say that you have that configured... so lets look at something else.

I think the best way to handle this is to remove all but the basic components and get the system operating properly. Once you do that, then add one item at a time and troubleshoot only that item.

Make sure that you system is set up to recognize multiple drives, some systems just have drive numbers allocated for A: c: and D:.

I would start with clearing out the excess in the device manager of the Control panel. Do not reboot after each removal.
Keep the floppy, the C:, and one CD-rom. If the system is still erratic, go ahead and remove any legacy boards (modems, sound card, network card) . This way if there is a system resource problem, you primary hardware has the pick of the litter.

After you achieve a state boot, shut down and add one component at a time. Boot the system to make sure it has no problems and is working the way you want it to.

Keep do this untill all the items you want added are installed.

Good luck

aminos

aminos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply back, it feels nice to know there's someone out there actually reading my post. I got my computer to recognize my dvd and cd-rom drives again, but still can't boot from cd. As i was removing ethernet card, modem, I realized the IDE controller from the CD and DVD drives was unhooked from the interface on the motherboard...I'm an idiot. My hand must have accidentally disconnected it when I was tampering with the computer earlier.
I have a few questions that I need to ask before I proceed b/c I haven't had the best luck with removal and replacementl of parts from the computers. Since I can't get into device manager and remove some of the components from the computer, is it safe to take the sound card and modem out of the socket? Also, when I take out the DVD-rom drive, do I just leave the cables dangling in the case? the reason I ask is b/c I had to replace a burnt power supply box a newly bought unbranded P4 computer couple years back and when I bought another power supply and plugged it in, something from the mobo started smoking up every time I turned on the computer.
Also, I forgot to mention in my post that my PS2 socket won't recognize mouse or keyboard but its getting power b/c I can see my optical mouse light up. So what I did instead beforehand when I could actually get to desktop was to plug in wireless keyboard and mouse into the usb drive. After the blank screen though, I can only use it to get into BIOS. I tried to use a floppy setup disk and it got to the windows setup screen and asked for me to pop in disk 2 and press enter to continue, but once I do that it won't reconize that I'm hitting ENTER on my keyboard so I couldn't get any further. Once again sorry for the long post but I just want to mention all the trials and mishaps so that you get a better understanding of what's going on.

Edited by aminos, 11 July 2005 - 07:56 PM.