Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update

• Please log in to reply

Kylestern

Kylestern

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Greetings, I know the title doesnt sound like it should belong here but i am convinced it does.

While trying to access to microsoft windows updates site i get a message stateing -

"Your security settings do not allow web sites to use activex controls installed on your computer, this page may not display properly"

Because of this i cant download any windows updates.

Oh i'm running xp - sp2

Ok i'll tell you what i've done to try and remedy it, i've changed all IE security settings to default - check. Added update.windows.com to trusted sites list with security level at low - check. played around with security settings to allow ALL activex controls - check.

Still displaying the above sceen.

ok what i think it is, is a local policy that i have changed or service that i have turned off, but for the life of me i cant hunt it down.

Please Help!!

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Hello, my name is Werner and I'll be helping you today.

Are you sure that you have enabled the Active X controls so that they are accepted by your browser?

If enabled, they should work normally. On the other hand, it could be malware and I recommend posting a HJT log in the MALWARE forum just to make sure. :tazz:

Good Luck!

Werner ;)

Kylestern

Kylestern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
If your talking about changing the options in tools/internet options/security then yes.

The thing is though is that this is a new computer, that has only just been hooked up to the internet today, am running mcafee security suit and ad aware, plus i am also behind a router. All software installed has been "original" software (no cracks or downloaded stuff). So i am finding it hard to believe it could be malware??

like i said i'm convinced i've turned off access to activex somehow :tazz:

btw thanks for the fast reply ;)

Edited by Kylestern, 09 July 2005 - 01:49 AM.

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Kylestern,

If you've changed all security settings to low the Active X Controls should work normally.

On the other hand, McAfee could be behind this or a firewall. Try looking in Mcafee settings and try to find anything on active x controls there. It could be blocking them. Mcafee is very strict on these kinda stuff.

Good Luck! :tazz:

Werner

Kylestern

Kylestern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think it was malware, i gave up on the registry and security policys and just formated and started again :tazz: that worked!!

thanks again!

timinator

timinator

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I recently came across this thread when searching for info on a similar ActiveX problem (with Windows Update and some Symantec software). Eventually I tracked it to a policy setting that I may have changed earlier. The path to the policy is Computer Configuration \ Windows Settings \ Security Settings \ Software Restriction Policies. For the Trusted Publishers properties, the first part should be set to "End users", not "Local computer administratrors". After changing this setting ActiveX controls were working again :tazz:

In case others have similar problems and wish to compare this with their situation, here are some other details not already mentioned in this thread. The Temporay Internet Files folder contained a log file with a name beginning with "?CodeDownloadErrorLog". It contained a "Generic trust failure" error message. Elsewhere (such as when viewing a certificate), the following message appeared: "The cryptographic operation failed due to a local security option setting." This message is the same as an 0x80092026 error code (which is what the Windows Update page showed).

See also: http://support.micro...com/kb/q252937/