Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi every one, I got a problem as always. I can't conect to the internet to put it bluntly. but that is starting at the middle of the story. five months ago I got a new Dell with windows XP sevive pack 2 and had it all set up so it could conect to the internet useing a D-link wireless card and a D-link router that was several room away. then abote two month ago the probems started and wound up with my computer dieing (not being able to start up) from a software related probem (I know how to fix this now). formatted my hard drive and reinsall do the same thing wrong again and it died again. formatted hard drive and did not make the the marstake. When I had set up again I found very quickly that I could not conect to the internet through the routeror my net work (there ate three computer in the net work). (and no I do know my WEP key) I and a fried of mine have done every thing, assinged IP adress, uninstall and reinstall drives, updated the firm ware and a ton of other stuf besides. and I still cannot conect with the exception a a few hours yesterday when I got on the network but I cannot do that any more. I think the probem might be to do with the services, I can not start some of them such as simple TCP/IP service, windows firewall/internet conection shering etc.

Many thanks to any one that can help!

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Hello Michael!

The only thing I can think of is to reformat your windows if you still have the cd. But DO NOT DO THIS YET!

Rather wait for a Computer Tech to try and sort your problem out.

Best of Luck!

:tazz:

Werner

Edited by VirusKillersM, 09 July 2005 - 06:16 AM.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Wireless, huh? Are you sure you are getting a signal. If you managed to get on the network for a few hours the other day (unexpectedly) and then the connection died again, I'd bet you just aren't getting a signal.

Try running a network cable from your system to the router and check your service. If you have service with a known good connection, then you are having signal problems with your wireless connection.

If the router is several rooms away, you might think about purchasing a repeater. A repeater captures all incoming digital traffic, amplifies the signal, and then repeats it across the network.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Problem solved it was my services were not working after advice form a friend of mine I formatted and reinstalled Windows XP and My computer is far better than it has ever been.