Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply

Hard Rain

Hard Rain

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, Ive not been able to find anyone with the exact same problem whos managed to fix it. I have an Fijitsu Siemens Amillo Pro Laptop running XP home and i was listening to music in Itunes and the system froze and after 2 minutes of inactivity i got a blue screen error saying the system was preforming a memory dump and then there was no hard disk activity for over 5 minutes so i rebooted the laptop.

I now get the safemode choices etc screen when i start up the laptop any choice i make leads me to another bluescreen error saying there is an unmountable boot volume.

I booted from the XP cd and go as far as press R for Repair / Enter to continue and so on. Then the system freezes and there is no hard drive activity.

People have said its the BOOT.INI file but i cant get into the repair screen to sort any of this out because of the crash.

Any ideas folks?

Advertisements

Hard Rain

Hard Rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Maybe a hard drive problem as oposed to a windows one. I think i may have to send it back, It's still under warranty

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
BOOT.INI errors are not the only cause of your problem. Since you are unable to take the recommended steps and the PC crashes before you have had chance to run the recovery console, it's possible that the hard disk is failing or has, in fact, failed. see the bottom of this page: http://www.computerh...es/ch000630.htm

If you can boot from a windows 98 floppy (still works on xp), you can use FDISK (on the floppy) to delete the 'Non-DOS Partition', then create a new primary DOS partition. Now format the new partition using the switches shown here:

FORMAT C: /c /u /v:hdd

If, during the format process, you get recurring messages like "trying to recover bad allocation unit" (and this appears more than 3 times), then the hard disk is definitely failing and should be replaced as soon as poss.

Edited by pip22, 09 July 2005 - 11:00 AM.

Hard Rain

Hard Rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hey thanks pip, Unfortunately the laptop doesnt have a floppy drive. Any other ideas?

thegomez

thegomez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have this same problem. My notebook doesnt really give the CD a chance to boot up before the blue screen comes on. I tried talking to dell, basically just a waste of time. They ordered me a new hard drive. Is the problem that serious that i need to lose all my stuff?

bryanodowd

bryanodowd

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have this same problem.  My notebook doesnt really give the CD a chance to boot up before the blue screen comes on.  I tried talking to dell, basically just a waste of time.  They ordered me a new hard drive.  Is the problem that serious that i need to lose all my stuff?

View Post

apparently so cause same thing happened to me they are the most unhelpful people ever and i am not happy with this at all!! they didnt even have the patience to make sure i put everything right on new one and windows is on the wrong side of my partition help!!!!!!!!!! :tazz: ;) ;) :help:

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Are u guys using "repair installation" or "repair from recovery console"

Hard Rain

Hard Rain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well i sent mine off to Fijitsu on friday, they arranged parcel line to pick it up and it came back yesterday with a new hard drive, keyboard and longer life battery. all in all they were very helpful

bryanodowd

bryanodowd

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Are u guys using "repair installation" or "repair from recovery console"

View Post

they didnt even suggest that for me.....dunno what to do have so much stuff on old drive