Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home installation problems

• Please log in to reply

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Hi

I have recently bought a new motherboard and cpu for my system. Foxconn 760gxk8mb-ers, and an Athlon 64-bit 2800+. I reformated my hard drive and wanted to install windows xp home w/sp1 (32-bit version) cleanly. So I deleted my existing partitions, created a new ntfs one, and began to install windows. Now as we all know, windows first loads some installation files onto your hard drive, then restarts, then continues with a "cool looking graphical" installer. Opon restart after it loads initial files, before it starts the graphical installer from your hard drive, i see the bios starting up, it asks me to boot from cd (which you have to say no to) then it begings to boot from my hard drive,

but then gives me a message

"unable to load OS from hard drive"

i tried the whole process over and over again, no difference, and no matter how i set the bios, it doesnt work. In short i'm just not able to finish the second part of windows instalation. I contacted Foxconn's help and support, and i'm still awaiting a reply, but i thought i would take a shot asking the real experts here.

thanks for any help you can give.

Foxconn 760gxk8mb-ers Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64-bit 2800+
768MB DDR266 RAM
60GB IDE Hard Drive

also: I thought of putting this hard drive in another computer, instlaling windows there, then bringing the hard drive back to this one, woudl that work?

thanks

bye

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. Putting the hd into another computer and installing windows, then transferring it back to this system may seem like a good idea, but it won't work. I would suggest disconnecting everything except the absolute essentials to eliminate as many potential problems as possible. Here is a link (Credit to Elder Geek!)
that explains why:
http://www.theelderg...nstallation.htm

You have checked the bios and it sees the hard drive and all is correct, you said you formatted the hd before you began this process and since that was sucessful, the hd is probably ok since the bios sees it. Once you get the os installed following Elder Geek's suggestion, then add the other components one at a time like he said...

Good luck. If this doesn't work, then you need to begin troublehooting to isolate the problem to a particular component. See the guide from this forum

http://www.geekstogo...ms_-t28727.html

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
sorry, i should have mentioned earlier, the problem is solved. I put the hard drive into my old dell pII, installed, then put the hard drive back in the first computer, then repaired the windows installation, and then everything was fine. Thank you for responding though. :tazz:

Seagate 60GB IDE Hard Drive
Windows XP Home SP2