Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cleanup ?

• Please log in to reply

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Ok, just to make sure, I have downloaded CleanUp 4.0 and it's busy deleting ALL temporary files, cookies and so on. so far it has freed 600mb. Of course, I don't beleive this.

Is it even safe to use this program? :tazz:

Werner

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Again, I ask. Is it safe to run this program and delete the files it finds?

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
hello you know me.... i have cleanup and it freed up 1GB up from Junk and it did work i think its a good programme and will stay on my pc :tazz:

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Greetings, :tazz:

Ok, but tell me this. Cleanup deleted this file: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 2004/Aircraft/Pal A340.bak.

That file belongs to a game on my PC, I don't think a game is classified as "junk"

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Greetings,  :tazz:

Ok, but tell me this. Cleanup deleted this file: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 2004/Aircraft/Pal A340.bak.

That file belongs to a game on my PC, I don't think a game is classified as "junk"

View Post

A .bak file is recognized as a backup.. just about every cleanup program around will dump those without even a second lance as, for the most part, they are garbage .. Next time you run the game, you will get another..

Murray

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Greetings! :tazz:

I see. So backup files are actually useless garbage. Thanks for the 'food for thought!'

;)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If you do a search on your system for .bak, you will probably find a few of them.. Everytime some system folder changes, Windows will put the old one as a .bak folder and give the new one the proper extension..

Yes.. play the game and you will get a .bak folder.. play it again and you will get a .bak folder and the old one will get a different extension..

Also, if you ever take the time to check the prefernces or options area of the program, chances are you can set it to delete whatever you want.. or leave certain files/extensions alone.. But you didn't bother checking right??

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 09 July 2005 - 02:38 PM.

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
i used a coule programs and I dont know which one it was, but it cleared my themes of my computer along with alot of os files, and stuff i needed, and i lost it all...so be careful in using those, always make a system restore checkpoint prior to running it.