Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC wont switch off Auto anymore!

• Please log in to reply

daveyboyd

daveyboyd

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
My PC has recently decided that it will not switch itself off amymore, instead it hangs on the "Windows is shuting down" screen and I have to manually hold the power button for 3 secs to kill the power, anyone got any ideas as to why this has just started? thanks, Dave

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Go into the Power Management option in Control Panel.. Now, click on the APM tab and make sure that is enabled..

Now, boot into BIOS and make sure the ACPI option is enabled.. Save the change and reboot..

See if that helped at all!!

Murray

daveyboyd

daveyboyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks, tried all that but it turned out to be a problem with one of the Norton files from my AV software, fixed itself through scandisk, thanks anyway.

daveyboyd

daveyboyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
OOps, spoke too soon, it still aint working, by the way I have no APM tab in my Power Options, I am running XP SP2, any ideas????

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Windows installs updates during shutdown and if for any reason the updates don't like to install together the machine won't shut down. You might try urning off automatic updates, if that is what is happening, and do a few at a time. I've run into this problem on both my XP machines.